Stephen E. Tisman concentrates his practice on employment, benefits and labor law, complex corporate and employment litigation (trials and appeals), and corporate business matters and counseling.
Steve’s clients have included a multibillion-dollar insurance company; major New York real estate developers, owners, and brokers; nonprofit organizations; consulting and actuarial firms; a reinsurance brokerage; a manufacturer of patés and specialty foods; apparel companies; law firms; accounting firms; and a professional sports agent.
Steve also has represented senior executives in many industries, including the financial services, insurance, and the pharmaceutical sectors, in litigated and contractual matters.
Important areas of Steve’s practice include:
- Defense of discrimination cases (age, sex, race, religion, disability, sexual harassment)
- Prosecution and defense of trade secret and restrictive covenant claims
- Defense of whistleblower claims
- Prosecution and defense of defamation claims
- Representation of executives in employment contract disputes and employment-related investigations
Employment Counseling and Negotiation of Agreements
- Counseling employers on HR issues including terminations and discipline
- Negotiation and reparation of employment agreements and separation agreements
- Prosecution and defense of actions and arbitrations involving real estate matters including partnership disputes, performance of development contracts, and brokerage commission claims
- Prosecution and defense of actions involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty
- Defense of corporate dissolution proceedings
He has litigated in virtually all of the courts of New York and in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He has practiced before state and federal administrative agencies and has brought and defended arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association, the New York Stock Exchange, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”), and its predecessor, the National Association of Securities Dealers (“NASD”).
At the Columbia University School of Law, Steve was a James Kent Scholar and International Fellow, an Editor of the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, and a recipient of a Hague Academy fellowship.
Steve has been recognized in the New York edition of Super Lawyers from 2007 through 2019.
He has received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell.