Sean Pribyl is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Sean focuses his practice on maritime and international law, environmental and regulatory matters, white collar criminal law, civil litigation, and advanced automation in the transportation sector. His practice involves:
- defense of administrative, civil, and criminal enforcement actions
- maritime environmental compliance
- pollution incident and marine casualty response
- Jones Act coastwise trade, citizenship, and crewing issues, including outer continental shelf exemptions and U.S. build/rebuild standards and exemptions/waivers
- unmanned/autonomous/remotely operated vessels (“USV” or “MASS”) and small unmanned aircraft systems (“sUAS”) or “drones”
- marine casualties and collisions and vessel limitation of liability actions
- risk mitigation strategies in pollution incidents
- legislative and regulatory affairs in the transportation sector
- maritime security
- onshore/offshore energy and infrastructure projects
- Coast Guard credential suspension and revocation hearings
- fisheries industry compliance
Before joining Blank Rome, Sean served for six years as a U.S. Coast Guard officer and judge advocate (“JAG”). While serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Sean was appointed as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney and Special U.S. Attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice in multiple cases.
During law school, he competed on the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Team, and earned a Certificate of Concentration in International and Comparative Law.
Before law school, Sean worked for eight years as a deck officer aboard U.S. and Marshall Island-flagged offshore supply, container, roll-on/roll-off, break bulk, and fiber optic cable vessels.
Outside the Firm
Sean supports military veterans through pro bono activities such as the Veterans Consortium Discharge Upgrade Clinic and the National Veterans Pro Bono Consortium.
He is also a long-time volunteer judge for the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, having judged both regional or international rounds of competition for several years.
Sean is the proud father of two daughters, Grace and Matilda, devoted husband to his wife, Sylvia, and dog-walker to the family’s terrier, Nola. He is a soccer-player-turned-soccer-dad, dedicated weekend runner, occasional chef, and semi-occasional artist (acrylic paints). He has sailed the Seven Seas and set foot on all seven continents, and remains an avid world traveler.