Sean McDermott concentrates his practice on procuring and protecting intellectual property rights, with a primary focus on patent prosecution.
Throughout his 18 years of experience, Sean has represented numerous clients in diverse technological fields with a focus in the energy sector.
Understanding that successful patent rights (i.e., licensing, enforcement, and litigation) start with the initial procurement of patents, Sean helps clients to achieve cost-effective patent protection in the United States and internationally.
Intellectual Property Prosecution and Counseling
Sean has successfully prosecuted hundreds of patents in the United States and across the world and is active in a wide range of intellectual property areas, including:
- utility patents
- patent portfolio development and management
- patent infringement and validity analysis
- freedom-to-operate opinions
Intellectual Property Litigation and Post-Grant Proceedings
Sean helps clients in patent litigation and post-grant procedures, including:
- strategic patent reexaminations and reissues
- investigations in anticipation of litigation
- infringement and invalidity contentions
- claim construction
Sean is well-versed in a range of technologies, including:
- Oil and Gas Technologies—drilling systems and methods, oilfield services, downhole tools, wellheads, borehole logging and imaging, seismic surveying and processing
- Mechanical Technologies—transportation systems, hydraulic tools, automated machines, refrigeration and cooling systems, valves
- Electrical Technologies—optical sensors, electric motors, consumer electronics, RFID
- Computer Technologies—computer software, computer systems, telecommunications, videoconferencing
Journey to the Legal Profession
Sean grew up in Houston, Texas, and often visited the University of Houston where his father was a Professor of Art. After graduating in English from the University of Texas and working as an English as a Second Language teacher, Sean pursued his interest in technology and obtained a degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Houston. Sean went on to work as a patent agent while attending law school, graduating from the University of Houston Law Center.
Outside the Firm
Sean has a love for guitar and has been playing for over thirty years. When not practicing law, Sean enjoys spending time with his family and volunteering in music ministry.