Joan Bondareff focuses her practice on marine transportation, environmental, regulatory, renewable energy, and legislative issues. Joan represents clients in many industries and state and local governments in matters related to:
- Maritime regulations and public policy
- Environmental law
- Government relations
- Renewable energy
- Federal grants
- Maritime security for shipyards and ports
Before joining Blank Rome, Joan was chief counsel and acting deputy administrator of the Maritime Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation. She was also former majority counsel for the House Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries. Joan served on the Obama Transition Team for the Department of Transportation handling maritime related issues. She worked on the OPA 90 legislation, and also helped develop the Natural Resource Damage Assessment regulations when she was the assistant general counsel for Ocean Services at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Outside the Firm
- Chair, Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority (2016–present)
- At Large Vice Chair (2020–2021), Vice Chair of Committee Articles (2019–2020) and Vice Chair of Policy (2018–2019) of the Marine Resources Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- Board Member, Parent-Leadership Training Institute (“PLTI”) of Alexandria, VA (2012–2017)
- Advisory Committee, Children’s Hospital of Washington, D.C.