“…regularly called upon for its expertise in restructuring work…”
— Chambers USA
Real estate finance can be fertile ground for investment, but the risks are real and not always evident. Both lenders and borrowers need counsel that can help them minimize risk and adapt conventional approaches to new circumstances.
Blank Rome’s real estate team counsels clients through every stage of real estate financing. We help clients structure real estate financing transactions that preserve their interests and achieve their goals. When the situation becomes distressed, we can help you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your position and chart a path ahead.
If negotiations break down, our real estate team is backed by litigators with extensive experience in state and federal courts, including federal bankruptcy court. Our commercial litigators and bankruptcy lawyers are well acquainted with the particulars of real estate disputes and how they affect different asset classes, such as office, multi-family, hotel, senior living, and retail.
How We Can Help
- senior mortgage loans on all property types (including multi-family, commercial, industrial, hotel, and mixed-use)
- mezzanine loans, preferred equity, and mixed debt/equity financings
- construction and development financing
- credit lease and sale-leaseback financings
- affordable housing financings, both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- syndications, loan participations, and intercreditor agreements
- interest rate swaps, caps, and hedges
- new markets tax credit and other tax-advantaged financings
- single and multiple loan securitization
- multi-state secured financings
Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- contested foreclosures
- borrower bankruptcies
- assumption, assignment, and rejection of real property leases in bankruptcy proceedings
- loan restructurings, including conversion of debt to equity and participating loans
- forbearance agreements
- discounted pay-off agreements
- recapitalizations and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure
- sale and purchase of distressed debt
- extensions of time for a debtor-in-possession or trustee
- appointments of receiver
- bankruptcy asset sales
What Sets Us Apart
- Ranked in 2019 U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® (Woodward/White, Inc.) for Real Estate Law: Tier 1, National and Philadelphia; Tier 2, Washington, D.C.; and Tier 3, New York City.
- Chambers USA 2019 recognized our practice for Real Estate Law in Pennsylvania. Chambers researchers state Blank Rome:
- “Acts for an impressive list of leading financial institutions, as well as owners, developers and REITs.”
- “Possesses strong capabilities in zoning and land use issues and is also regularly called upon for its expertise in restructuring work and tax assessment matters”
- “…regularly called upon for its expertise in restructuring work…”
- “Sources say the firm is ‘very, very strong in representing real estate developers.’”
- Recognized as a “Top Issuer Counsel” for U.S. commercial mortgage-backed securities (“CMBS”) by Commercial Mortgage Alert in February 2013.
- In 2012, the Real Estate Credit Facilities and Financing team handled over 300 transactions totaling an aggregate value of over one billion dollars.