“…recognized for its fund formation practice.”
— Chambers USA
Forming a successful private investment fund demands experience, insight, and creativity. It’s important to not only understand your specific objectives for forming a fund but also assess how the fund fits within your broader business goals.
Blank Rome’s attorneys advise private fund managers in connection with raising U.S. and offshore private equity and with hedge and other types of investment funds. We employ the full breadth of our attorneys’ experience to effectively guide you, drawing upon capabilities from our tax, securities, banking, and ERISA practices, among other areas of focus, to assist in all stages of fund formation and with complex structuring issues. We’ve represented direct funds and those ranging from start-up to large institutional funds.
In addition, we provide ongoing counsel to private fund managers and their investment funds throughout the fund’s lifespan. Such counsel may include federal or state registration of an investment advisory entity and advice regarding regulatory matters (including SEC, CFTC, and ERISA issues), operational matters (including fund borrowing and liquidations), taxation, dispute resolution (including litigation and assistance with investor disputes), and legislative developments affecting fund managers and the investment strategies you pursue.
How We Can Help
- structuring internal governance and economic terms within the fund sponsor team
- structuring investment fund terms
- drafting all offering, governing, and subscription documents
- negotiating with fund investors
- coordination of non-U.S. legal issues with international counsel and handling closings
What Sets Us Apart
- Top national and state rankings for Corporate Law and M&A Law in U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers.
- Blank Rome has been ranked top-tier in M&A Middle Market by the Legal 500, which states that the Firm is “extremely active in the purchase, sale, and combination of business entities.”
- Blank Rome consistently ranks as a “Top 10” firm focusing on M&A matters, according to the Directors & Boards annual survey of directors of major North American companies.
- Chambers USA ranks Blank Rome for its corporate/M&A and private equity work:
- “a middle-market-focused team advising clients on matters including public and private M&A, joint ventures and securities offerings.”
- “‘high-quality lawyers doing a breadth of work and transactions.’”
- Our attorneys are frequent lecturers on M&A matters, and are well-known for “writing the book” on all aspects of valuing and selling businesses and capital formation entitles, such as The Complete Guide to Valuing and Selling your Business by Partner Frederick D. Lipman.