“Recognized for its strengths in product liability…”
— Chambers USA
Given the critical work they do, life sciences companies are particularly vulnerable to the risks presented by government scrutiny and the product liability suits that arise in today’s litigious environment. Should a dispute arise as result of these volatile conditions, it is essential to bring in legal counsel with a deep understanding of the industry and the unique legal obligations of life sciences companies.
Blank Rome’s litigation team understands the complex challenges our clients face in their commitment to advancing healthcare and medical science. From developing drugs and devices to designing and delivering treatment, life sciences companies are at particular risk. When claims are brought against our clients asserting a drug or device has caused harm, we have the broad knowledge to protect and defend you.
We counter claims and resolve litigation by understanding as much as we can about the product, including development, regulatory history, and historic product performance. We then evaluate the factual and legal settings and formulate a strategy designed to resolve the dispute as quickly and efficiently as possible.
How We Can Help
We know that sometimes a pre-trial resolution of meritorious cases is in our client’s best interest. To that end, we prepare each case with an eye towards trial while identifying and seizing on opportunities to resolve a case short of that, if possible and if it best serves our client’s interests.
We also devote significant time to preventive counseling on behalf of our clients, from routine advice to custom training programs. By providing a thorough liability review and comprehensive legal input early in product development, our products liability attorneys can help avert or minimize the repercussions of adverse legal action in the future. Should a client receive a warning letter from the FDA, we mitigate adverse consequences and prepare for litigation defense before a suit is filed.
Our extensive experience in representing clients involves a broad array of medical devices, including artificial knee devices and prosthetics, and pharmaceuticals, opioids, antibiotics, and other medicines. Many of our attorneys have significant experience before federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health (“NIH”), the Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (“CMS”), the Department of Justice (“DOJ”), and the Office of the Inspector General (“OIG”).
What Sets Us Apart
- We advise on compliance strategies with respect to global data protection laws and the processing of human biological samples, including transparency initiatives in clinical research.
- Our litigation team is comprised of nearly 30 former Department of Justice attorneys and five former judges and many of the team members are members of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Law360 named Blank Rome a 2017 “Pennsylvania Powerhouse” and recognized “its prolific national litigation practice and deep bench strength.”
- Ranked Tier 1 in 2021 U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® (Woodward/White, Inc.) national ranks for Commercial Litigation, Banking and Finance, Bankruptcy, Tax Law, and White Collar Litigation. Also highly ranked nationally for Intellectual Property, Patent, Securities, Environmental, and Labor & Employment.
- Chambers USA editors state Blank Rome has a:
- “Significant commercial litigation practice, offering sought-after representation across a range of cases including securities, antitrust, environmental, construction and cybersecurity disputes. Further highlighted for its federal appellate work and for its experience in class action defense.”
- Chambers USA editors further remark:
- “The litigation team was excellent. Each of the lawyers brought a very interesting element to the team and they blended together well. They were great and I would highly recommend them!"