Life sciences companies are in the business of helping people. The drugs and devices they develop are designed to alleviate pain, cure disease, treat illness, and much more. However, the life science industry continues to face the challenges of increased competition, demographic changes, technological innovation, and regulatory upheaval.
Blank Rome’s life sciences team works with clients to mitigate those challenges by looking at the issues from all angles. How will the changing regulatory and risk environment impact your business? What security and privacy adjustments are necessary to cope with increasing digitization? How do you preserve or build shareholder value with continued pricing pressures and rising R&D expenses? We take a pragmatic, business-focused approach to create comprehensive strategies to help you succeed at every stage of your business.
We have deep experience in corporate transactions and M&A, intellectual property matters, commercial and product liability litigation, regulatory compliance, and anti-corruption. We address numerous government relations matters through our government affairs team of top lobbying and strategic communications professionals. Many of our attorneys and advisors have significant government experience related to compliance, enforcement, and reimbursement issues, before federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health (“NIH”), the Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (“CMS”), the Department of Justice (“DOJ”), and the Office of the Inspector General (“OIG”).
Our industry team can also bring in attorneys focused on specific legal issues such as labor and employment, tax, business restructuring, real estate, and others, to address any issue that arises.
How We Can Help
We represent a wide range of life sciences companies and industry professionals, including:
- drug and device developers, manufacturers, and distributors
- active pharmaceutical ingredient producers and importers
- biotechnology innovators
- academic medical centers
- research institutions, laboratories, and investigators
- contract research organizations
- physician inventors
- pharmaceutical consortia
- financing companies
What Sets Us Apart
- We add value for our clients by leveraging relationships within the life sciences and financial industries, as well as the government, to facilitate key introductions that create business opportunities and solve problems.
- Our life sciences industry team is bolstered by a deep bench of recognized intellectual property leaders with significant experience in acquiring, defending, enforcing, and invalidating medical device and pharmaceutical patents.
- We have achieved numerous wins in high-profile life science disputes and have extensive trial and appellate experience in federal and state courts across the country.
- We advise on compliance strategies with respect to global data protection laws and the processing of human biological samples, including transparency initiatives in clinical research.