Consumer financial services companies continue to be confronted with changing regulations and laws, an increase in litigation, and expensive class action claims. To compete in this space, you need counsel with not only deep industry experience, but who also knows and understands the landscape inside and out. We closely track changes and developments in the industry that will impact our clients, and proactively provide advice and counsel on how best to respond to these changes and developments.
Our consumer finance litigation group is nationally recognized as a leader in the industry. We have extensive experience representing consumer mortgage originators, correspondent lenders, mortgage servicers, and investors. Our litigators have successfully defended national and regional consumer lending and servicing clients in individual and class action lawsuits in state and federal courts in numerous jurisdictions throughout the country, including proceedings before trial courts, appellate courts and bankruptcy courts.
Members of the consumer financial services team are admitted to practice in the following jurisdictions: California; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Indiana; Illinois; Kentucky; Maryland; Massachusetts; New Jersey; New York; Ohio, Pennsylvania; Texas; Virginia; Washington, D.C.; and West Virginia.
How We Can Help
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”)
- Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
- Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”)
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”)
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”)
- Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (“UDAP”)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”)
- Home Ownership and Equity Protection Amendments (“HOEPA”)
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act (“ECOA”)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”)
- Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (“FACTA”)
- Federal Consumer Credit Protection Act (“FCCPA”)
- Credit Repair Organizations Act (“CROA”)
- Predatory lending practices
- Title disputes and title insurance coverage disputes
- consumer fraud
- federal loan modification programs
- state consumer protection laws
- national mortgage settlement
- actions on tax liens, homeowners association liens and condominium association liens
- California Homeowner Bill of Rights (“HBOR”)
What Sets Us Apart
Our consumer finance litigation team is comprised of approximately 50 experienced attorneys who are highly experienced in the practice are, and who are committed to provide the highest degree of legal services to our clients. Our team has been trained to focus on the specific facts and nuances of every case they handle. The team works hard to establish a true partnership with each client. Associates work closely with counsel and partners to make sure that each matter is handled in accordance with the client’s best interest, and in an effective and cost-efficient manner. As a whole, the team customizes its representation of each client to meet that specific client’s business model and goals.
The consumer finance litigation team works closely with our regulatory compliance team to help the client address any regulatory issues that may be present in, or potentially arise from, any given case.