Our team has extensive experience handling energy-related corporate matters and transactions. Our team includes the former general counsel of a major utility serving more than four million customers in New York and New England, and several attorneys occupying legal positions (including Board seats) with regulated public utilities and independent energy companies. Our team can assist with:structuring transactions
- negotiating and drafting letters of intent and acquisition agreements
- joint ventures
- tax structuring advice
- insurance coverage advice
- preparation of securities regulatory filings
- advice to boards (and special committees) on fiduciary duties and liabilities
- shareholder agreements
- corporate governance strategies
- M&A (mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures)
- debt and equity project financings
- capital markets participation (including securities ratings)
- strategic alliances
- regulatory compliance under federal and state securities and regulatory laws
- Acting as general maritime and product transportation counsel to Philadelphia Energy Solutions (“PES”) providing critical risk management and enterprise corporate structuring advice regarding environmental and maritime risks, both onshore and offshore, associated with the transportation of crude oil and refined products by rail and vessel.
- Served as counsel to a leading independent oil refiner and marketer in the acquisition of more than 1,100 sites in 18 states in five separate transactions, some of which included 1031 exchanges.
- Served as counsel to in the sale of the Sunoco’s former Yabucao Refinery in Puerto Rico for environmental matters with respect to contamination and Clean Air Act matters.
- Provided counsel to Mondre Energy, Inc. regarding the public utility status of a proposed Distributed Heat and Power (“DHP”) System.
- Served as co-counsel to American Western Refining, L.P. to debtor in Chapter 11 of oil refinery (Wilmington, DE).
- Served as counsel to the sellers in the sale of the Kibby Mountain Wind Farm in Franklin County, ME, to an affiliate of TransCanada Pipelines.
- Served as counsel to Petrotrin, the national oil company of Trinidad & Tobago, on the negotiation of construction contracts for the upgrade of its Point-a-Pièrre refinery in connection with its gasoline optimization program.
- Served as environmental counsel to a client in connection with the purchase of the Guam Refinery previously owned by Shell Oil.
- Served as general counsel to Sunoco in connection with its Project Liberty spin-off of its pipeline and terminal “logistics” business into a master limited partnership.
- Served as counsel to a major private equity fund in the acquisition and later disposition of an independent electric transmission line (TransElect) in the Midwest.
- Represented a pipeline company in the sale of its business which was recently expanded in the Marcellus Shale Gas play.
- Conducted the environmental due diligence for the purchase and sale of assets for several international chemical companies.
- Conducted the environmental due diligence for the asset purchase of an oil refinery and terminal as well as the purchase and sale of retail gas stations and oil terminals.
- Conducted the environmental due diligence for the purchase and sale of quarries and asphalt plants.
- Conducted the environmental due diligence for the purchase and sale of major shipyards involved in shipbuilding and ship repairs.
- Conducted the environmental due diligence for the purchase of a former military facility which was part of the Base Realignment and Closure Program.
- Represented national lenders and private equity funds in connection with either the participation or funding of a transaction.