Blank Rome’s integrated cleantech team of attorneys understands the changing business, regulatory, and political environment in which cleantech companies operate. Such unique understanding, coupled with the legal experience to service clients’ needs and lead projects, positions Blank Rome to provide superior legal service to cleantech companies. Our industry knowledge spans all stages of a cleantech company’s growth and development. Our services to cleantech companies include: start-up and emerging company services, intellectual property and technology transfer, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, securities, project finance, environmental, taxation, government contracts, policy and political law, real estate, and technology licensing.
Blank Rome has a proven track record representing clients in the following cleantech sectors: energy generation, transportation, energy storage, energy infrastructure, energy efficiency, water and wastewater, air and environment, materials, recycling and waste, and manufacturing.
- Field Diagnostic Services, Inc. (FDSI), a clean technology and energy efficiency company, in connection with strategic investment from Bank of America. FDSI’s engineers have produced a technology that has been used to assess and improve the performance of more than 300,000 heating and cooling units across the U.S. Bank of America, which recently began installation of a new centralized energy management control system, plans to utilize FDSI’s unique products and services in 3,300 banking centers nationwide. This will result in up to 50 percent cost savings for Bank of America when compared with using standard building control technologies. The FDSI software platform is also forecasted to reduce annual greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the banking centers by an estimated 14,000 CO2 tons annually.
- Integrated Capital Partners, LLC, in its investment in Rainwater Management Solutions, Inc. (RMS), a company that has developed an innovative and unique rainwater harvesting system. RMS works with commercial and residential developers, engineers, and architects; industrial and commercial end users; agricultural professionals; and local, state, and national agencies to solve water conservation and management issues through its innovative rainwater harvesting systems and its experienced, knowledgeable staff.
- ZS Fund, LP, in connection with its acquisition of VPSI, Inc., a provider of vanpool services and passenger vehicle leasing services. Collectively, VPSI’s vanpools will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 275,000 tons annually and save about 26 million gallons of gasoline, roughly equivalent to $78 million. They will also eliminate 6.9 million individual commuter trips from the roads and cut down their drive times by taking advantage of high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes when available.
- L2 Capital, a lower middle market private equity firm that specializes in making equity investments in manufacturing, distribution and service companies, in its acquisition of Landfill Services Corp., an Apalachin, N.Y.-based company that makes spray-on covers for landfills (the company has since been renamed LSC Environmental Products).
- Meidlinger Water Investments, a private equity firm that invests in companies that have scalable solutions to address the world’s water issues, in its follow-on investment in Liberty Hydro, Inc., a water focused environmental technology company.
- RuMe Bags, a manufacturer of reusable and environmentally friendly bags, in connection with Series A and Series B financings led by Golden Seeds.
- Blackgold Biofuels in a Series A financing and additional project finance commitment from Liberation Capital.
Experienced Attorneys, Recognized in Their Fields
Our attorneys are frequent authors on topics related to financing and growing cleantech companies. Recent publications of interest to cleantech investors and entrepreneurs include: Investment Advisers Subject to FERC Sanctions; New York Establishes Code of Conduct for Wind Development; RGGI Completes First Carbon Credit Auction in U.S.; Offshore Alternative Energy Development; One-Stop Shopping for Alternative Energy Projects Offshore; Green Energy in the Garden State; and Pennsylvania’s Alternative Energy Investment Act.
In addition, Blank Rome attorneys are frequent speakers on cleantech topics. Recent selected presentations include: The Future of Pennsylvania's Electricity Industry: 2009 and Beyond; Government Policy and the Market for Clean Tech; Sustainable Development Forum; Energy: A Flashpoint for Change; and Climate Change and Energy Policy.