|Washington, DC||v. +1.202.772.5955||f. +1.202.572.8374|
Paul Honigberg has more than 30 years of experience litigating a variety of complex civil cases in federal and state trial and appellate courts, many of which were on the cutting edge of law, science, and public policy. He also provides counseling and litigation services to political campaigns, corporations, and individuals regarding campaign fundraising and expenditures; registration and disclosure under the Lobbying Disclosure Act and Foreign Agents Registration Act; formation and activities of political action committees; and compliance with government gift, ethics, and travel statutes, rules, and regulations at the federal and state level.
Mr. Honigberg serves a wide range of clients in areas such as:
- complex commercial and intellectual property litigation
- civil fraud and qui tam actions
- toxic tort and environmental law
- government ethics and compliance
As deputy director of the Justice Department's Tobacco Litigation Team, Mr. Honigberg was responsible for all aspects of the federal government's action against cigarette manufacturers. He helped supervise a team of approximately 30 attorneys and paralegals on all aspects of discovery and pretrial preparation in what was believed to be the largest civil action ever filed. Before joining the Tobacco Litigation Team, Mr. Honigberg served in the Civil Fraud section of the Justice Department's Civil Division, where he represented the United States government in investigations and litigation under the False Claims Act.
- Owner of intellectual property involving software to analyze voluminous telephone billing records in patent infringement litigation.
- International trading, petroleum, chemicals, and energy company in internal investigation regarding compliance with natural gas–transmission pipeline safety and environmental statutes and regulations.
- Federally chartered savings bank in class action litigation under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Owner and licensor of intellectual property, in the data and information transmission technology field, in patent infringement litigation.
- Federally chartered stock savings institution in litigation under the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1989.
- Federal campaign in proceedings brought by the FEC alleging violations regarding re-designating and re-attributing excess campaign contributions.
- Internal audit of federal campaign regarding propriety of certain non-monetary contributions.
- Private research university concerning legislative gift rules under state law.
- Advising global government consulting firm on registration and reporting obligations under the Foreign Agents Registration Act.