Benjamin G. Stonelake
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5689||f. +1.215.832.5689|
Benjamin Stonelake has earned a national reputation in the area of environmental law. He assists commercial, financial, industrial, and entrepreneurial clients, as well as local government agencies and authorities, with all aspects of environmental law, including:
- air and water pollution control and wetlands regulation
- regulation of solid and hazardous wastes and toxic substances
- superfund and hazardous waste site cleanups
- toxic tort litigation and environmental matters affecting bankruptcy proceedings
- risk-based remediation strategies
- brownfield redevelopment
Mr. Stonelake was an attorney for the Middle Atlantic Region of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ("EPA") and was the chief enforcement attorney for that office from 1979 to 1981. Mr. Stonelake is listed in the International Who’s Who of Environment Lawyers, and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Environmental Law and Litigation - Environmental in Philadelphia. Mr. Stonelake has authored numerous articles and presented many lectures on various environmental law topics.
He assists clients with the purchase and sale of regulated facilities and contaminated properties and represents them in permitting new and existing pollution sources. He also represents them in administrative, civil, and criminal enforcement proceedings and litigation to recover or apportion costs to clean up contaminated properties.
Mr. Stonelake has received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Successfully opposed the EPA's proposal to list the properties of several clients on the Superfund National Priorities List.
- Convinced the EPA to amend its Record of Decision for a Superfund Site, which reduced the final remedy cost.
- Convinced a state department of environmental protection to change the final remedy in its Statement of Decision and to accept only 10 percent of its past cleanup costs; the revised remedy and past cost settlement reduced the client's potential liability.
- Convinced a local citizens group, a state department of environmental protection, and the EPA to settle Clean Air Act enforcement litigation on terms that avoided installation of an afterburner on two incinerators.
- Conceived and supervised an award-winning project to control erosion of contaminated soil in stormwater runoff from a Delaware HSCA site.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Stonelake is the former chair and vice-chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association.