Scott F. Cooper
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5487||f. +1.215.832.5487|
CHAIR, LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT PRACTICE GROUP
Scott Cooper's practice involves litigation and counseling businesses and government entities. He leads the Firm’s Labor and Employment group and is a founder of the Trade Secret and Non-Compete Litigation group. He draws upon a unique blend of courtroom experience, work for members of the judiciary, and political and civic involvement in advising clients.
Mr. Cooper is a former member of the Board of Trustees of Temple University, Immediate Past President of the Temple University Alumni Association, former President of the Temple University Alumni Association, a former President/Chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association, a former elected official in his township, and Chair of his Municipal Ethics Board. He is a member of the Firm’s Partner Board and a former hiring partner. He has presented at conferences throughout the world and has appeared numerous times in print and on television.
Practice Overview and Recognition
Mr. Cooper focuses his practice on complex disputes in federal and state courts and before various government agencies throughout the country. He has appeared in more than two dozen state and federal courts and is a member of the Bar of numerous courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States. He has also negotiated business agreements and collective bargaining agreements. He has a diverse client base, representing large publicly traded corporations, start-ups, partnerships, and government entities. He has represented clients in many areas, including:
- restrictive covenants and trade secrets litigation
- defending race, disability, age and gender discrimination matters
- overtime and wage payment issues
- family, medical leave and disability claims
- police and firefighter matters
- labor relations including negotiations and arbitrations
- electronic surveillance, technology policies and privacy issues
- funding public housing
- state takeover legislation
- public education
- professional sports
- reductions in force in many industries
| Clients commend his 'strong strategic vision and analytical prowess, bolstered by a practical business
Mr. Cooper is recognized by Chambers USA as a leader in labor and employment law. In a recent Chambers edition, a client stated, “His ability to understand and peel apart complex issues is like nothing I have ever seen.” Chambers has also noted that he is described as “one of the best oral advocates...his persuasion was incredible, well rounded and had a lot of perspective. His communication skills are superb and he looks at all the possible angles and finds the most advantageous approach.” And that he is “[r]ecommended as a ‘terrific lawyer who is smart and nimble.’ One client states: ‘I have full confidence in his expertise and judgment.’”
Mr. Cooper is a member of Blank Rome’s Partner Board, a leader of the Firm’s Trade Secret and Non-Compete Litigation Group and a member of the Firm’s E-Discovery Task Force. He previously served as the Firm’s Philadelphia-based hiring partner and co-chair of its summer hiring program.
Prior Experience with the Judiciary, Organizations and Education
Prior to joining Blank Rome, Mr. Cooper was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Herbert J. Hutton of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and an academic intern for the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Mr. Cooper is a certified court arbitrator.
Mr. Cooper has worked for members of Congress and a state legislator. In 2000, Mr. Cooper went to Florida to assist with the Presidential election recount.
Mr. Cooper has been an adjunct professor at Temple University School of Law, a lecturer in the Philadelphia Hotel Association School and a frequent presenter in Continuing Legal Education and Bench-Bar Conferences.
At Temple Law School, Mr. Cooper was the first student to serve as Managing Editor of the Law Review, be a member of the Moot Court Honor Society (National Champion in Constitutional Law), a starting member of the National Trial Team (Runner-up in the National Championships) and graduate with honors.
Mr. Cooper has degrees in economics and political science from Vassar College.
Some of the many matters Mr. Cooper has handled recently include:
- International medical implant manufacturer and supplier as counsel defending violations of non-compete agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Major automotive and truck components manufacturer as lead counsel defending multi-employee race-discrimination suit.
- Philadelphia professional sports team in settling public access policies.
- Language services industry.
- International and domestic financial institutions in litigation of age and disability discrimination.
- Major healthcare institution as counsel on numerous labor arbitrations and court proceedings.
- Major municipality as counsel on labor, police, and firefighter labor and employment relations.
- Large metropolitan school district on employment and labor issues.
- Major lender in theft of trade secrets and confidential data.
- Represented company in the language services industry in case involving allegations of theft of trade secrets, improper hiring and violations of the Federal Lanham Act. Case involved sweeping injunction, expert witnesses on valuation of trade secrets and interlocutory appeals to the United States Court of Appeals.
- Represented company in alleged improper hiring of personnel in the surgical support industry. Matter involved state and federal claims.
- Represented company seeking to stop top level executive in fashion industry from moving to competitor and starting competitive line using protected materials about the product and customer buying patterns. Matter involved overlapping court and arbitration proceedings.
- Negotiated separation agreement with high-level executive in which modifications to employment contract’s non-compete and intellectual property provisions became key points.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Bar Association Leadership
In addition to his busy legal practice, Mr. Cooper has a long history of leadership with local and national bar associations. Notably, in 2010, he served as President/Chancellor of the 13,500-member Philadelphia Bar Association.
Philadelphia Bar Association
As President/Chancellor, Mr. Cooper led the association and served as spokesperson for membership on issues affecting the profession, client service, ethics, relations with city government, delivery of legal service for the indigent and an independent judiciary. During his term of office Mr. Cooper supported efforts for attorneys and the community within Philadelphia, the region and internationally. He helped the Association pioneer its efforts with social media and enhanced communications. Three times he represented Philadelphia at the World City Bar Leaders Conference as a delegate and presenter.
Other offices included:
- Vice Chancellor
- Assistant Treasurer
- Member of Cabinet (seven years)
- Member Board of Governors (twelve years)
- Founder Philadelphia Bar Association Bar Academy
- Founder Philadelphia Bar Association Historical Society
- Co-Chair Labor and Employment Law Committee (two terms)
- Special Task Force on Education
- Special Task Force on Long-Range Planning
- Chair, Elections Committee
- Board Member Jenkins Law Library
- Board Member Volunteers for the Indigent Program
- Member World City Bar Leaders Conference Planning Committee (Montreal, 2011)
- Member, Judicial Selection and Retention Commission
American Bar Association
- National Conference of Bar Presidents Executive Council
- Elected, 2010–13
- Chair Communications Committee 2011–13
- Member Programming Committee 2011–13
- Sponsorship Committee 2010–11
- Membership Committee 2010–11
- Budget Committee 2010
- Former Member, Labor and Employment Law Section
Metropolitan Bar Caucus
- Executive Committee Member 2011–2014
Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, House of Delegates, 2010
Political and Community Service
Local Civic Involvement
- Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Police Athletic League
- Elected official in county political organization
- Chair of Moorestown Township’s Ethical Standards Review Board (through December 31, 2020)
- Former Chair of Township’s Recreation Advisory Committee. In this position, Mr. Cooper worked on programming and capital expenditure projects.
- Vice President Township Soccer Club and Licensed Head Soccer Coach
- Board of Trustees Member, 2014–2017
- Executive Committee
- Alumni Relations and Development Committee
- Athletics Committee
- Compliance Committee
- Facilities Committee
- Temple University Alumni Association
- Immediate Past President, Temple Law 2017–2020
- President, 2014–2017
- Chair, Executive Committee 2014–2017
- Commencement Speaker 2014–2017 (Philadelphia)
- Commencement Speaker 2015 (Beijing at School of Law)
Television, News and Published Decisions
Mr. Cooper has appeared in more than 25 published legal decisions. He lectures across the country, internationally and presents on television on numerous legal matters.
Some more noted presentations include:
- Spoke at Temple University’s graduation (May 2016)
- Addressed business leaders in Shanghai, China and addressed graduates in Beijing, China on the U.S. Legal system (May 2015)
- Addressed an international delegation from the U.S.-India Investment Forum on top labor and employment law issues affecting Indian and Turkish companies seeking to do business in the United States (March 2015)
- Addressed over 250 delegates in Frankfurt, Germany on the United States legal system and its separation of powers doctrine (June 2013)
- Participated in international conference on legal issues affecting international business in Montreal, Canada (September 2011)
- Addressed 60 delegates in Tokyo, Japan (April 2010)
- Participated in international conference on legal issues affecting international business in London, England (June 2008)
- 2017, Honorable Nathaniel R. Jones Diversity Award, Blank Rome LLP
- 2007–2017, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” in Employment & Labor, listed in Super Lawyers
- 2015–2017, Labor & Employment Law, listed in Chambers USA
- AV Preeminent®, listed by Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2013, “Top Rated Lawyer” in Labor & Employment Law, listed in Corporate Counsel
- “Lawyer on the Fast Track,” listed in Pennsylvania Law Weekly
- “Lawyer on the Fast Track,” listed in The Legal Intelligencer
- “Forty Under Forty,” listed in Philadelphia Business Journal
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.