|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5487||f. +1.215.832.5487|
Scott Cooper's practices involve litigation and counseling businesses and government entities. He is one of the Firm's leading employment law litigators and a founder of the Firm’s Trade Secret Litigation group. He draws upon a unique blend of courtroom experience, work for members of the judiciary, political and civic involvement in advising clients.
Mr. Cooper is the former President/Chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association, the President-Elect of the Temple University Alumni Association, an elected official in his township and Vice-Chair of his Municipal Ethics Board. He is a member of the Firm’s Partner Board and a former hiring partner. He has presented at conferences throughout the world and has appeared numerous times in print and on television.
Practice Overview and Recognition
Mr. Cooper focuses his practice on complex disputes in federal and state courts and before various government agencies throughout the country. He has appeared in more than two dozen state and federal courts, and is a member of the Bar of numerous courts, include the Supreme Court of the United States. He also has negotiated business agreements and collective bargaining agreements. He has a diverse client base, representing large publicly traded corporations, start-ups, partnerships, and government entities. He has represented clients in many areas, including:
- restrictive covenants and trade secrets litigation
- defending race, disability, age and gender discrimination matters
- overtime and wage payment issues
- family, medical leave and disability claims
- police and firefighter matters
- labor relations including negotiations and arbitrations
- electronic surveillance, technology policies and privacy issues
- funding public housing
- state takeover legislation
- public education
- professional sports
- reductions in force in many industries
Mr. Cooper is recognized by Chambers USA as a leader in labor and employment law. Chambers notes that he is described as "one of the best oral advocates...his persuasion was incredible, well rounded and had a lot of perspective." “Clients [also] commend his 'strong strategic vision and analytical prowess, bolstered by a practical business approach.’”
He has won numerous other professional awards, including the prestigious Pennsylvania Law Weekly's and Legal Intelligencer's “Lawyer on the Fast Track,” and Philadelphia Business Journal's “Forty under Forty.” He has also received the highest possible ratings from Martindale-Hubbell for both substantive legal knowledge and ethics. He is also included in the American Lawyer Corporate Counsel 2012 Top Rated Lawyers Guide to Labor & Employment Law.
Mr. Cooper is a member of Blank Rome’s Partner Board, a leader of the Firm’s Trade Secret and Non-Compete Litigation Group and a member of the Firm’s E-Discovery Task Force. He previously served as the Firm's Philadelphia-based hiring partner and co-chair of its summer hiring program.
Prior Experience with the Judiciary, Organizations and Education
Prior to joining Blank Rome, Mr. Cooper was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Herbert J. Hutton of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and an academic intern for the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Mr. Cooper is a certified court arbitrator.
Mr. Cooper has worked for members of Congress and a state legislator. In 2000, Mr. Cooper went to Florida to assist on the Presidential election re-count.
Mr. Cooper has been an adjunct professor at Temple University School Law, a lecturer in the Philadelphia Hotel Association School and a frequent presenter in Continuing Legal Education and Bench-Bar Conferences.
At Temple Law School, Mr. Cooper was the first student to serve as Managing Editor of the Law Review, be a member of the Moot Court Honor Society (National Champion in Constitutional Law), a starting member of the National Trial Team (Runner-up in the National Championships) and graduate with honors.
Mr. Cooper has degrees in economics and political science from Vassar College.
Some of the many matters Mr. Cooper has handled recently include:
- International medical implant manufacturer and supplier as counsel defending violations of non-compete agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets
- Major automotive and truck components manufacturer as lead counsel defending multi-employee race-discrimination suit
- Philadelphia professional sports team in settling public access policies
- Language services industry
- International and domestic financial institutions in litigation of age and disability discrimination
- Major healthcare institution as counsel on numerous labor arbitrations and court proceedings
- Major municipality as counsel on labor, police, and firefighter labor and employment relations
- Large metropolitan school district on employment and labor issues
- Major lender in theft of trade secrets and confidential data
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Bar Association Leadership
In addition to his busy legal practice, Mr. Cooper has a long history of leadership with local and national bar associations. Notably, in 2010, he served as President/Chancellor of the 13,500-member Philadelphia Bar Association.
Philadelphia Bar Association
President/Chancellor. Led association and served as spokesperson for membership on issues affecting the profession, client service, ethics, relations with city government, delivery of legal service for the indigent and an independent judiciary. During his term of office Mr. Cooper supported efforts for attorneys and the community within Philadelphia, the region and internationally. He helped the Association pioneer its efforts with social media and enhanced communications. Three times he represented Philadelphia at the World City Bar Leaders Conference as a delegate and presenter.
Other offices included:
- Vice Chancellor
- Assistant Treasurer
- Member of Cabinet (seven years)
- Member Board of Governors (twelve years)
- Founder Philadelphia Bar Association Bar Academy
- Founder Philadelphia Bar Association Historical Society
- Co-Chair Labor and Employment Law Committee (two terms)
- Special Task Force on Education
- Special Task Force on Long-Range Planning
- Chair, Elections Committee
- Board Member Jenkins Law Library
- Board Member Volunteers for the Indigent Program
- Member World City Bar Leaders Conference Planning Committee (Montreal, 2011)
- Member, Judicial Selection and Retention Commission
American Bar Association
National Conference of Bar Presidents Executive Council
- Elected, 2010-Present
- Chair Communications Committee 2011-Present
- Member Programming Committee 2011-Present
- Sponsorship Committee 2010-11
- Membership Committee 2010-Present
- Budget Committee 2010
- Former Member, Labor and Employment Law Section
Metropolitan Bar Caucus
- Executive Committee Member 2011-Present
Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, House of Delegates
Political and Community Service
Local Civic Involvement
- Elected official in county political organization
- Vice Chair Township’s Ethical Standards Review Board
- Former Chair of Township’s Recreation Advisory Committee. In this position, Mr. Cooper worked on programming and capital expenditure projects.
- Member, Township’s Soccer Club Board of Directors and Licensed Soccer Coach
Mr. Cooper is active with Temple University and is President-Elect for the Board of Directors of the Temple University Alumni Association beginning in July 2012. He will serve as President beginning in 2014.
Television, News and Published Decisions
Mr. Cooper has appeared in more than 25 published legal decisions. He lectures across the country, internationally and presents on television on numerous legal matters.