Paul M. Zagar, M.D.
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5290||f. +1.917.332.3063|
Paul M. Zagar, M.D., focuses his practice on patent prosecution, counseling, and litigation in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, chemical, and medical device areas.
Dr. Zagar’s patent prosecution and counseling experience includes U.S. and foreign prosecution, reissues, reexaminations, infringement and validity opinions, and due diligence in areas such as immunology, genetics, virology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and diagnostic systems. His litigation experience includes district court pharmaceutical cases arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act and an infringement dispute involving claims directed to lentiviral vectors.
Prior to joining the practice of law, Dr. Zagar was a practicing, board-certified general and vascular surgeon.
- Successful NY Division of Tax Appeals litigation in which the client’s patent license fees were held to not be subject to state sales tax.
- Obtained allowances for reissue applications based on Orange Book-listed patents that were in concurrent litigation.
- Drafted a Markman brief in litigation relating to viral vectors where the court adopted all of the claim interpretations in the brief.
- Successful ex parte reexamination of an Orange Book-listed patent.
- Federal Circuit appeal relating to a patent covering recombinant human growth hormone.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Dr. Zagar is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He has also successfully provided pro bono assistance to veterans seeking service-connected medical benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.