Real Estate Development Vice Practice Group Leader
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5526||f. +1.917.332.3074|
Deborah A. Franzblau concentrates her practice in the area of commercial real estate finance, representing institutional lenders who originate loans for sale in the secondary mortgage market to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. In addition, Ms. Franzblau represents financial institutions involved in the credit enhancement of bonds for both market rate and affordable housing projects. Included among Ms. Franzblau’s clients are various funds formed for the purpose of providing funding to both profit and non-profit developers for the development, construction and rehabilitation of affordable housing projects nationwide. She has extensive experience working with various housing agencies, including but not limited to, New York State Housing Finance Agency, New York City Housing Development Corporation, the City of New York, Department of Housing Preservation and Development and the New York State Homes and Community Renewal.
- Servicer's real estate counsel in connection with bond financings by state housing finance agencies of various multifamily properties involving complex affordable housing structures.
- Lenders' real estate counsel in multiple transactions under Freddie Mac's capital markets execution program.
- Lender's counsel in connection with refinancing of portfolio of multifamily properties located in Chicago, Illinois.
- Lender's real estate counsel in the refinancing of former HUD properties involving Section 8.
- Lender's counsel in refinancing of properties receiving benefits of Section 42 low income housing tax credits.
- Representation of senior lender in financing of portfolio of 19 cross-collateralized properties located in 8 states secured by senior and mezzanine debt and the subsequent exercise of remedies by the mezzanine lender.
- Lender’s real estate counsel in bond financing of multiple properties in Chicago, Illinois involving subordinate financing under HUD’s Green Retrofit Program, as well as HOME funds and TIFF funds.
- Servicer's counsel on multiple bond financings with various state housing financing agencies under the New Issue Bond Program of the United States Department of the Treasury, the United States Department of Housing and Urban Renewal, and the Federal Housing Finance Agency.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Franzblau previously served as a Professor of Continuing Legal Education for Lawyers in Real Estate at Fordham University School of Law, and has been a Lecturer for Academy for Continuing Education in the Real Estate Division. She is currently a member of the Housing and Urban Development Committee of the New York City Bar Association.