|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5311||f. +1.917.332.3714|
Martin Luskin maintains a national reputation for counseling clients in complex commercial real estate transactions, including mergers and leveraged buy-outs. Mr. Luskin represents a wide range of clients, including real estate investment trusts, real estate advisers, financial institutions, developers, and universities with respect to:
- acquisitions and privatizations of publicly traded REITs
- sales and acquisitions of premier office buildings, shopping centers, and apartment complexes around the country
- joint ventures, partnerships, and limited liability companies
- commercial leases for retail, office, and warehouse space
- financing of multi-state portfolio transactions, including those involving securitized mortgages, loan syndications, and mezzanine debt
Mr. Luskin serves on the Firm's Executive Committee and holds the position of Client Development Partner, overseeing Blank Rome’s Client Teams initiative. Mr. Luskin served as chair of the Firm’s Real Estate and Financial Services Department for eight years, leading more than 120 attorneys and professionals within six practice groups in 12 cities.
| Clients state that 'he knows how to compromise and provides thorough legal reviews.'
Chambers USA recognizes Mr. Luskin as a “knowledgeable and responsive attorney with a wide-ranging real estate practice.” Clients stated that he is “exceptional” and a “creative problem-solver who gets deals done,” and also noted that “he knows how to compromise and provides thorough legal reviews,” is “very congenial, smart,” and “his advice is invaluable.” “Savvy and practical,” Mr. Luskin is also noted as a “very strong private equity lawyer with good knowledge of corporate, partnership, and tax law.”
Mr. Luskin is often called upon by the media to comment on high profile matters of interest to the real estate community. Lectures include: Negotiation of the Documents Before the Closing, IMN Summit on Real Estate M&A, Private Equity & REIT Privatization, Anatomy of a Real Estate Deal for Lorman Education Services, and Real Estate Issues Related to Expansion of Facilities for The Institute for International Research. Mr. Luskin author
Mr. Luskin was born in Havana, Cuba, and is fluent in Spanish.
- Sale by a partnership consisting of George Comfort & Sons, DRA Advisors LLC, and RCG Longview—owners of the iconic Worldwide Plaza in midtown Manhattan—in nearly half of its ownership interest in the property to American Realty Capital. The property was valued in excess of $1.25 billion—more than twice the 2009 acquisition cost.
- Acquisition and financing of Worldwide Plaza, a 47 story Class A building in New York City by a joint venture sponsored by George Comfort & Sons, Inc.
- Restructure of existing indebtedness and pre-packaged bankruptcy on behalf of the owner of the iconic “Lipstick Building” in New York City.
- Acquisition of an office park located outside Washington, DC from Boston Properties. The purchase was financed with a loan from Natixis of $215 million. The entire property is leased to the US Government.
- $1.8 billion term loan and $250 million credit facility amendment to extend a senior secured credit facility on behalf of Capital Automotive, the nation’s leading specialty finance company for automotive retail real estate.
- $571.5 million purchase of 27 properties consisting of 6,294 units located throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia.
- $3.4 billion acquisition by DRA Advisors LLC, and privatization of Capital Automotive REIT, involving 400 properties in 31 states.
- Structure and negotiation of an agreement for the sale of Capital Automotive by DRA Advisors LLC and certain funds advised by DRA to affiliates of Brookfield Asset Management Inc., a New York Stock Exchange-listed REIT.
- $1.7 billion acquisition of CRT Properties, Inc., a publicly traded office REIT involving more than 100 buildings, by a fund.
- $1.1 billion acquisition of a publicly-traded retail REIT involving more than 30 shopping centers by PL Retail LLC.
- Sale to Kimco Realty Corporation, a publicly-traded REIT, of 85% interest in an $825 million retail portfolio consisting of 21 shopping center properties located in seven states.
- $1.7 billion purchase by DRA Advisors LLC of a portfolio comprised of 25,684 apartment homes in 86 communities located in 10 states.
- $600 million purchase by DRA Advisors LLC and Westcore of an 11.1. million-square-foot industrial property portfolio consisting of 110 properties located throughout three states.
- $477 million purchase from UDR, Inc. of 14 multifamily communities located in Arizona, Florida, Texas and Virginia.
- $382.4 million purchase of an industrial portfolio comprised of 52 industrial properties, aggregating approximately 9.6 million square feet, located in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
- Sale of 64 multifamily properties located throughout nine states and totaling more than 20,000 units, to global private equity firm, Lone Star Funds.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Luskin currently serves as Chairman of the Professional & Leadership Division (formerly known as the Men’s Division) of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. In 2010, he was honored as the recipient of the Humanitarian Award given by the Men’s Division of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine for his outstanding commitment to the organization.
- 2017, listed in Who’s Who Legal – Real Estate
- 2016, “Outstanding Individual Assistance to The Society Award,” presented by The Legal Aid Society
- 2013, “Top Rated Lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions,” listed by American Lawyer Media
- 2009–2017, Real Estate Law in New York, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2007–2016, New York “Super Lawyer,” listed in Super Lawyers
- AV Preeminent®, listed by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Real Estate: Corporate Law, listed in Chambers USA
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.