Lauren B. Wilgus
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5348||f. +1.917.332.3068|
Lauren Wilgus is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Lauren Wilgus concentrates her practice in the areas of international and maritime litigation and alternate dispute resolution. She has more than 16 years’ experience in the shipping industry and counsels clients regarding maritime matters, including:
- general litigation and counseling on behalf of domestic and foreign corporate interests;
- international and domestic commercial contract disputes, including arbitrations under AAA, ICC, SMA, and ad hoc arbitration terms;
- marine insurance coverage disputes, including protection and indemnity, general commercial liability, and marine liability;
- charterparty and contract disputes;
- COGSA and multi-modal cargo damage claims;
- maritime attachment (Rule B) and vessel arrest (Rule C) actions;
- marine casualty investigations;
- recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards and judgments;
- commercial negotiations and dispute resolutions involving charter party, service contract, and other transportation-related agreements.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Wilgus worked both as a claims adjuster at a major Japanese shipping company and as a claims executive at a P&I Club.
Ms. Wilgus has been recognized by Chambers USA every year since 2013 as an associate to watch in shipping litigation, and is noted by a client as being “thorough and organized” and “quick to grasp the relevant issues and facts.”
- Representation of a flag administration in connection with the Deepwater Horizon casualty investigation, involving the explosion, fire, and sinking of a mobile offshore drilling unit, as well as extensive pollution in the Gulf oil spill.
- Successfully represented a Swiss coal trader in the Eastern District of Virginia in an action to obtain a multi-million dollar judgment at trial against alter ego entities; after successfully defending two appeals to the Fourth Circuit, collected the judgment by selling at auction a capesize bulker owned and operated by one of the alter ego companies.
- Representing sellers and buyers of bulk commodities in arbitration of disputes under sales contracts (ICC and AAA arbitration).
- Represented a major sports retail company with the re-drafting of its Master Store Agreement as well as the Addenda applicable to each of its global retail partners throughout the world.
- Numerous Rule B and Rule C matters, both in obtaining and opposing attachments and arrests.
- Numerous matters seeking recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards and judgments.
- 2013–2017, Transportation: Shipping/Maritime: Litigation Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2015–2016, “Rising Star” in International Law, listed in New York Metro Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.