Mark M. Lee
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5536||f. +1.215.754.4316|
Mark M. Lee, a trial lawyer and former federal prosecutor, is a partner in the Firm’s white collar defense & investigations practice group. Mr. Lee focuses on the representation of corporations and individuals in complex business litigation matters as well as during investigations and prosecutions conducted by the federal government. His practice includes conducting internal investigations and corporate compliance assessments for companies in numerous industries, including financial services, pharmaceutical, healthcare, and software. He also advises clients concerning cybersecurity and data privacy issues, such as assessments of policies and procedures, data breach preparation, and breach response and remediation.
Mr. Lee has extensive experience organizing and directing complex investigations for both private and public sector entities. While serving as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Delaware, he led numerous federal grand jury investigations and subsequent prosecutions into a wide variety of white collar criminal activity, including into matters such as financial institution fraud, theft of government funds, aggravated identity theft, ERISA theft, corporate tax evasion, public corruption, money laundering, and mortgage fraud. In addition, he has directed several federal investigations involving various technologies, including peer-to-peer software applications, social networking websites, and wireless and mobile networks and devices. While in private practice, he has performed internal investigations and compliance assessments covering a wide variety of subject matters such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”), money laundering, and data privacy.
Mr. Lee routinely acts as an interface with government prosecutorial and regulatory agencies on behalf of both business and individuals, and has successfully negotiated favorable outcomes for clients facing the threat of prosecution. However, as not all matters result in prosecution declinations, he is prepared to aggressively represent his clients inside the courtroom should the need arise. He is a skilled trial lawyer, having tried cases to verdict before juries in both the United States District Court for the District of Delaware and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Lee began his legal career as a law clerk for the Honorable Petrese B. Tucker, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Trial counsel in the defense of a sitting U.S. congressman facing multiple federal criminal charges, including RICO, bank fraud, wire fraud, bribery, obstruction of justice, and money laundering.
- Conducted a FCPA due diligence review of a multimillion dollar equity investment involving a U.S.-based offshore equipment provider and a multinational investment group.
- Retained by a county solicitor’s office to conduct an internal investigation into allegations of ethics violations by local elected officials.
- Represented a former employee witness in a SEC and DOJ investigation involving a United Kingdom company acquired by a leading Silicon Valley technology company.
- Representations of individuals in federal public corruption and campaign finance investigations.
- Represented a global waste-management corporation during a Pennsylvania state grand jury investigation.
- Represented a federally-funded government agency during an Office Inspector General audit and regulatory investigation.
- Successfully represented a Pittsburgh-based slot machine license applicant before the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Lee is actively committed to pro bono and community service. He is on the Board of Directors of the National Black Child Development Institute, a national education nonprofit organization. He is also a member of numerous professional associations, including the American Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Philadelphia Bar Association, Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and the Temple American Inn of Court.
2018, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Philadelphia, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.