James J. Barnes
|Pittsburgh, PA||v. +1.412.932.2731||f. +1.412.592.0921|
James Barnes concentrates his practice on corporate and securities law, capital markets, corporate governance, and mergers and acquisitions. He also serves as the strategic development partner for Blank Rome’s Pittsburgh office and co-chairs the Firm’s Family Office practice group.
Mr. Barnes has a wide range of experience in corporate and securities law matters, including working with companies to raise capital in public and private offerings of debt and equity securities. He regularly assists public companies with the preparation and review of their SEC periodic reports. He represents companies, funds, and investors in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other complex corporate transactions, and serves as outside general counsel to family offices. Mr. Barnes also has experience with corporate governance matters and regularly advises boards with respect to compliance and best practices.
A significant portion of Mr. Barnes’ practice focuses on structuring equity-based compensation arrangements, incentive compensation plans, and executive employment agreements. His executive compensation practice includes advising clients on matters involving Section 16 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and the development and implementation of Section 16 and “insider trading” compliance programs.
During law school, Mr. Barnes served as the managing editor of the Howard Law Journal.
- Representation of IGATE Corporation in its $4 billion acquisition by Capgemini.
- Representation of SKF in its $1.2 billion tender offer and acquisition of Kaydon.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed environmental solutions company, in its acquisition of two target companies and the related $245 million and $400 million 144A offering of high yield convertible notes and $80 million public offering of common stock.
- Representation of a financial institution in its $115 million public offering of depository shares.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Barnes is a frequent speaker for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute. He is a director and former chairman of the board of the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh and a board member of the Carnegie Museum of Art.
- 2018, Corporate Law in Pittsburgh, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.