Amy L. Barrette
|Pittsburgh, PA||v. +1.412.932.2735||f. +1.412.927.2703|
Amy Barrette is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses her energy industry practice on oil and gas and environmental matters.
Ms. Barrette advises clients in federal and state court actions on a wide variety of issues, including alleged contamination of water supplies from natural gas drilling operations, hydraulic fracturing nuisance claims, personal injury, contract, royalty, zoning, and lease disputes, as well as environmental practices, including Act 2 remediation. She also has represented energy and other clients in negotiations with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, EPA, and DOJ. Further, she regularly represents and advises clients in matters before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
In addition, Ms. Barrette has significant experience managing all aspects of litigation, arbitration, and mediation, including advising clients on their discovery obligations relative to electronically stored information.
During law school, Ms. Barrette was a member of the Law Review. She frequently writes and speaks on industry-related events and topics for leading legal publications and conferences.
- Defending oil and gas clients against claims of methane migration and water contamination from hydraulic fracturing and natural gas drilling.
- Representing oil and gas clients in consent order negotiations with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
- Representing oil and gas clients in appeals before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
- Representing oil and gas clients in connection with lease disputes.
- Defended various oil and gas operators in quiet title actions.
- Obtained injunctive relief for an oil and gas client in connection with repeated instances of trespass on well locations.
- Representing an oil and gas client in connection with personal injury claims related to operations on natural gas well pads.
- Representing oil and gas clients in connection with EPA CERCLA requests.
- Representing oil and gas clients in connection with Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection enforcement actions.
- Represented a wood treatment facility in connection with EPA and DOJ allegations of RCRA violations.
- Represented an energy client in consent order negotiations preventing the closing of a coke manufacturing plant.
- Defended an internationally known forensic pathologist and medical examiner charged with 84 federal felonies; after months of trial, the defense rested without calling a single witness, and the jury was unable to reach a verdict on any of the counts.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Barrette is a member of the Marcellus Shale Coalition’s Natural Gas Use, Water Resources, and Waste Management and Recycling subcommittees, as well as a member of the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation.
- 2014–2016, “Who’s Who in Energy,” listed in the Pittsburgh Business Times
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.