Alan J. Hoffman
Chairman and Managing Partner
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5505||f. +1.215.832.5505|
|Wilmington, DE||v. +1.302.425.6474||f. +1.302.428.5113|
Mr. Hoffman serves as chairman and managing partner of Blank Rome LLP. In this capacity he oversees the Firm’s day-to-day operations, implements the Firm’s growth strategy for its expanding national and international platform, and manages the overall leadership, direction, profitability, and culture of the Firm. Mr. Hoffman was named chairman in 2014, and has served as managing partner since 2011. He served as co-chairman from 2008 to 2013, and as the Firm’s litigation department head from 1996 to 2008. His practice consists of handling complex corporate and criminal litigation and he has extensive trial and appellate experience in both the federal and state courts.
He has particular experience representing both corporations and individuals in commercial disputes, government contract litigation, product liability litigation, civil and criminal environmental matters, securities cases, intellectual property, and banking cases. Mr. Hoffman also serves as national lead trial counsel in the defense of over 150 environmental pollution and product liability cases on behalf of a multinational chemical company.
In addition to his trial experience, Mr. Hoffman devotes significant time to preventive counseling on behalf of clients, presents seminars to corporate managers on current developments in the law, and conducts corporate internal investigations. Mr. Hoffman has recently been involved in numerous alternative dispute resolution and mediation cases in assisting clients to avoid high litigation expenses.
Mr. Hoffman began his career as a federal prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice, having been recruited to serve as part of the Attorney General’s Honors Program. He served as a Supervising Assistant United States Attorney and as a result of his trial achievements, he received the prestigious Attorney General’s Special Commendation Award.
Mr. Hoffman has written extensively on product liability and class action litigation and served as co-author for two journals on audit committees. He is a lecturer at the CPA Club for Continuing Professional Experience, where he speaks on developments in the law as it impacts certified public accountants and other accounting professionals.
- National lead trial counsel for a multinational chemical company in the defense of over 150 environmental pollution and product liability cases in multidistrict litigation involving water contamination in cities within 17 U.S. states; to date, the company’s share of settlements has been less than one-half of one percent.
- Represented a large national mortgage company in a breach of contract and RICO action where damages were sought for $26 million. The seven-day trial resulted in a verdict for the mortgage company and success on its cross-claim; the case was settled.
- Defended a large national bank in a breach of contract action involving the sale of 12 bank branches following a Department of Justice-mandated divestiture of bank branches. Damages were sought against our client in the amount of $416 million; we obtained a summary judgment and won in a counterclaim, resulting in an award and recovery by our client.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Hoffman is an active leader in the community. He serves as a corporate executive board member of the Philadelphia Museum of Art; a member of The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation; a board member of the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, having previously served as its vice president; a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity; a board member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Anti-Defamation League; a finance committee member of Select Greater Philadelphia; a member of the Philadelphia City Hall Dilworth Plaza Steering Committee; and a member of the Board of Trustees for the National Museum of American Jewish History. In addition, Mr. Hoffman is one of the founders of the J. Willard O’Brien Villanova Law School Inn of Court, where he served as president; served on the Transition Committee for Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett; and as the event chairman for the American Associates, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev. Mr. Hoffman is also frequently invited to speak on issues concerning the business of law in today’s marketplace. He was selected to participate in The National Symposium on Diversity in the Legal Profession presented by the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Office of Diversity where he served as a panelist for the plenary session, “A Vision for Collaboration,” which addressed the current state of diversity in the legal profession and the importance of collaboration to advance diversity and inclusion.
- AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, Philadelphia
- 2015 “Power 76” by the Philadelphia Business Journal