|Washington, DC||v. +1.202.420.3472||f. +1.202.420.2201|
Mr. Safa is an associate in Blank Rome’s policyholder-only insurance coverage practice, formerly the insurance practice of Dickstein Shapiro LLP. Mr. Safa advises policyholders regarding their insurance rights and helps pursue the maximum recovery available under their policies. He maintains an active trial and alternative dispute resolution practice, and has helped clients access more than a quarter billion dollars in coverage through trial/mediation in the last five years alone.
Mr. Safa's work is particularly focused on the insurance issues facing corporate policyholders, directors, officers, and other high-profile individuals. He has represented policyholders in the financial services, manufacturing, technology, healthcare, defense, and entertainment industries; and dealt with a wide range of insurance claims involving asbestos liabilities, environmental liabilities, property losses, employment suits, professional liabilities, errors and omissions, fidelity losses, product liabilities, personal and advertising injury, and aviation claims. He has also successfully pursued bad faith actions against insurers that refuse to honor their coverage obligations and pay meritorious claims.
Mr. Safa also works with clients to enhance their insurance programs to avoid preventable disputes. He advises clients regarding the insurance implications of emerging risks, evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of their current insurance program, and assesses the likelihood that their existing policies will respond to such threats. He also counsels clients in connection with new insurance purchases and negotiations with prospective insurers aimed at securing the most favorable terms available.
While in law school, Mr. Safa was a member of the William & Mary Law Review and received the Gambrell Professionalism Award honoring “professionalism, public service, integrity, and dedication to the improvement of lawyering skills.”
During the summer of 2007, he interned with the Honorable Adalberto Jordan, formerly of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida (now of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit).
Before beginning his legal career, Mr. Safa served as a tax consultant at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, where he assisted manufacturing and engineering firms in calculating and supporting multi-million dollar research and development tax credits.
- Obtained a bad faith jury verdict and various declaratory judgments on behalf of a pressure vessel fabricator in Missouri state court. As a result, the client secured $14.6 million in damages and access to more than a quarter billion dollars of future coverage from various excess insurers.
- Obtained a bad faith jury verdict against three insurers in Idaho state court, while serving as second-chair trial counsel. The jury awarded $2.41 million in compensatory damages and $7.2 million in punitive damages to the policyholder.
- Obtained a unanimous arbitration award from a three-judge panel, while serving as second-chair arbitration counsel. The panel ordered the general liability insurer to pay more than $1.7 million in damages for unreimbursed asbestos bodily injury claims.
- Secured over $80 million in professional liability coverage for defense costs and liabilities incurred in connection with a False Claims Act suit, through negotiations and mediations with several primary and excess insurers.
- Secured a multi-million dollar settlement for an investment management firm seeking professional indemnity coverage for losses incurred in connection with a bond revaluation.
- Secured a multi-million dollar settlement for a lender seeking lienholder coverage for the loss of loan collateral.
- Assisted a Fortune 500 company in evaluating and negotiating custom cyber coverage terms for its main insurance program. The coverage involved numerous excess insurance carriers and required several months of intense negotiation.
- 2017, “Rising Star” by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.