Adrien C. Pickard
|Washington, DC||v. +1.202.772.5845||f. +1.202.572.1430|
Adrien C. Pickard practices in the commercial litigation group handling a wide range of matters, from complex commercial disputes, to employment, construction, real estate, and trusts and estates matters before state and federal courts and on appeal.
Mr. Pickard focuses his practice primarily in the state and federal courts of the Commonwealth of Virginia, appearing regularly before the District Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia, including Alexandria’s “Rocket Docket” and the various Circuit Courts of Northern Virginia. He also has experience litigating before local equal opportunity employment commissions and human rights boards.
As a member of the consumer financial services team, Mr. Pickard regularly represents lenders and financial institutions in a variety of consumer finance litigation matters in federal and state court. He is experienced with motions practice, oral argument, and the discovery process.
Mr. Pickard was recognized by Washington Post Magazine in 2013 as a "Top Attorney in Washington, DC." He was also selected as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- Prepared a successful motion to dismiss in a RICO case against the founder of an international yoga movement accused of brainwashing and other cult-like behavior in the Eastern District of Virginia. Myers v. Lee, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 99707 (E.D. Va., Sep. 21, 2010).
- Successfully argued for, and obtained summary judgment on behalf of, a regional distributor of solar cells in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Successfully represented a government contractor in a $50B GSA bid protest in the Court of Federal Claims, resulting in an order requiring the government to rebid the contract award. Serco Inc. v. United States, 81 Fed. Cl. 463 (Fed. Cl. 2008).
- Represented an international organic seafood marketer and distributor in a partnership dispute in the District of Columbia Superior Court.
- Represented a property owner in the District of Columbia Superior Court in a $9M eminent domain proceeding.
- Represented a contractor in a defense of claims of breach of contract in the Circuit Court for Loudoun County and the Eastern District of Virginia involving a preliminary issue of the District Court’s jurisdiction in the context of a venue clause. Findwhere Holdings, Inc. v. Sys. Env’t Optimization, LLC, 626 F.2d 752 (4thCir. 2010).
- Represented an ophthalmologist in a breach of contract case against the trustees of a company responsible for reimbursing patients in the possession of treatment vouchers in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Successfully negotiated a limited injunction on behalf of a client accused of theft of proprietary data claims in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Represented a class of plaintiffs in a Title II public accommodation discrimination case in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Negotiated a multi-million dollar employment agreement on behalf of a medical professional selling the interest in a former business and becoming an executive in a new company.
- Represented a landlord at trial in a breach of lease and return of security deposit case in the Circuit Court for the City of Alexandria.
- Represented a homeowner against a contractor for a faulty home renovation in the Circuit Court for the City of Alexandria.
- Obtained a judgment on behalf of a homeowner against a home renovation contractor in the Arlington County General District Court.
- Represented a conservator in a matter adverse to her ward, arguing jurisdictional and competency issues before the Circuit Courts for the Counties of Norfolk and Lynchburg.
- Negotiated an $80,000 severance agreement on behalf of an exiting employee without a contract.
- Negotiated a successful settlement on behalf of an employee alleging race discrimination before the Virginia Human Rights Commission.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Pickard is a board member of the Alexandria Third Century Corporation since 2007 and has managed and acted as fiduciary for a $500,000 fund providing college scholarships and stipends to Alexandria residents attending colleges and universities in the Commonwealth. In 2013, Mr. Pickard was named to serve on the Executive Committee of the George Mason University Inns of Court.
- 2013–2017, “Rising Star” by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.