Jonathan A. Loeb
|Los Angeles, CA||v. +1.424.239.3422||f. +1.424.239.3443|
VICE CHAIR, CORPORATE LITIGATION PRACTICE GROUP
Jonathan (“Jon”) Loeb has more than 20 years of complex litigation experience representing plaintiffs and defendants across a variety of industries and practice areas. Mr. Loeb focuses on commercial, entertainment, business torts, financial services, real estate, securities, intellectual property, trade secrets, and healthcare litigation in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Loeb is a trial lawyer with a proven track record in high stakes cases. He has represented studios and television networks and affiliates, film financiers, and other entrepreneurs and production companies in a variety of types of licensing, intellectual property, and entertainment litigation. In addition, he counsels clients in real estate disputes involving fiduciary duties and creditors’ rights. In the ever-changing healthcare industry, Mr. Loeb represents provider groups and physician management companies in a range of commercial litigation.
Mr. Loeb has been named in Super Lawyers for Southern California since 2005. He frequently writes and lectures on commercial litigation and legal ethics issues.
Prior to joining Blank Rome, Mr. Loeb served as Managing Partner of an AmLaw 100 firm’s Santa Monica office and Chair of the Entertainment, Media and Communications group. Mr. Loeb is a former member of the Southern California Law Review. During law school, Mr. Loeb served as extern for the Honorable William Matthew Byrne, Jr. (deceased), Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Tishman Speyer Properties. Currently representing Tishman companies in connection with litigation arising out of the 2009 leverage buyout of Archstone Smith Trust, one of the largest REIT mergers in history.
- Grupo Televisa S.A.B. Represented Grupo Televisa S.A.B., the world’s largest Spanish language media company, in litigation against Univision Communications Inc.; the case settled favorably for the client three weeks into a jury trial in federal court in Los Angeles.
- Represented leading manufacturer of rubber products in litigation against competitors in various matters, and won dismissal of a lawsuit brought by a competitor asserting claims for false advertising under the Lanham Act and unfair competition based on violation of California’s Sherman Act.
- Represented a former NYSE company in defense of a claim for securities fraud arising out of the purchase of a hospital and medical group in exchange for stock, and prevailed on summary judgment.
- Represented a retirement services company in prosecuting claims against a former partner for breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of partnership opportunities, and in defending against a cross-complaint alleging similar claims, ultimately prevailing after three-month bench trial.
- Represented a wealthy entrepreneur and his corporation in defense of a claim by an alleged former partner who asserted that, pursuant to an alleged oral partnership agreement, he was entitled to 15 percent of the value of client’s interest in Global Crossing Inc.
- Represented Dignity Health and obtained dismissal with prejudice on a motion to dismiss in connection with an action brought in federal court in the Eastern District of California alleging violations of constitutional and federal statutory rights, including alleged violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 1983 and 1985(3). The plaintiffs prayed for damages in excess of $121 million.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Loeb sits on the Board of Governors for the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, and serves as Vice Chair of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Judicial Elections Evaluation Committee. He received the Wiley W. Manuel award from the State Bar of California multiple times for his work on various pro bono matters and representing indigent clients in dozens of matters referred by various public interest organizations, including the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, Bet Tzedak, and Public Counsel.
- 2005–2017, “Los Angeles Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation, listed in Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.