|Los Angeles, CA||v. +1.424.239.3465||f. +1.424.239.3690|
Ana Tagvoryan concentrates her national commercial and corporate litigation practice on consumer class action defense, with an emphasis on consumer fraud, data privacy, marketing, and compliance issues. Ms. Tagvoryan is the chair of the privacy class action group, which handles privacy-related class actions involving autodialing, telemarketing, call recording, data sharing, and other consumer privacy matters. Her clients regard her as strategic and creative; they trust her common sense approach to problem-solving and appreciate her professional dedication.
Ms. Tagvoryan has extensive experience defending companies in a multitude of complex consumer class actions in both state and federal courts across the nation. Her consumer-facing class action defense work services a broad range of industries, notably:
- Retail—online Terms and Conditions, fraud, data handling, loyalty and gift card programs, marketing, comparative pricing, and discount programs.
- Manufacturing—packaging, labeling, marketing, fraud, and false advertising, and Proposition 65 claims.
- Internet and Telephone Service Providers—privacy policies, marketing, customer and vendor relationship management, data privacy, and security.
- Automotive Industry—contract class actions, e-mail and telephone marketing, and false advertising.
- Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Industry—patient prompts, marketing, communications, and data handling.
- Debt-Collection—deceptive debt-collection practices under the FDCPA and related state laws.
She has a solid track record for successfully defeating class actions at every stage of litigation, including on motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment, preemptive motions to decertify, and in class certification. She also has succeeded in bringing early dispositive issues before the courts and saving costs associated with discovery, and has a track record for early and efficient dispute resolution, including mediation and class action settlements.
She has extensive experience with state consumer fraud statutes, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Stored Communications Act, the Fair Debt-Collection Practices Act, The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, the Video Privacy and Protection Act, U.S. federal and state CAN-SPAM laws, the New Jersey Truth in Consumer Contract, Warranty and Notice Act, the Federal Wiretap Act, and related state-law statutes, including California’s Invasion of Privacy Act, Unfair Competition, and Consumer Legal Remedies Act claims in both trial courts and on appeal.
Ms. Tagvoryan’s compliance practice includes due diligence, audits, and compliance manuals, with practical advice to continue business endeavors with maximum protection and risk management. She has a team that directly revises, amends, and helps implement consumer-facing policies, practices, and internal procedures effectively and efficiently.
She also routinely advises on consumer privacy matters during corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Teaching and Speaking Engagements
Ms. Tagvoryan has lectured extensively on the Internet of Things, social media law, and e-Discovery, FCC regulations, class actions, and other legal matters, and regularly writes in leading industry publications concerning class action trends and social media matters. (See Publications.) She is the co-author of the legal practice guide, Social Media as Evidence: Cases, Practice Pointers and Techniques, published by the American Bar Association, and is also an editorial advisory board member of Bloomberg BNA’s Social Media Law & Policy Report, as well as the Privacy & Security Law Report.
- Obtained dismissal of class allegations in food labeling litigation during class certification briefing.
- Successfully represented several food and supplement manufacturers in consumer fraud and false advertising class actions.
- Obtained judgment on the pleadings on behalf of a medical group in Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”) class action over flu shot reminder calls to patients.
- Obtained summary judgment in TCPA class action on basis of prior express consent for survey calls related to medical visits.
- Obtained summary judgment in TCPA case on basis on non-advertisement for faxes sent to a physician network regarding pharmaceutical drugs.
- Secured dismissals in several consumer privacy and consumer contract class actions dealing with unconscionable and unfair terms and conditions, and customer call recording practices.
- Successfully defended several consumer-facing unfair and discriminatory practices claims surrounding pricing, subscriptions, and disability accommodations.
- Obtained summary judgment in TCPA class action on behalf of airline vendor for flight notification text messages sent to customers.
- Obtained complete dismissal under choice of law analysis for call recording class claims brought under the California Invasion of Privacy Act.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Tagvoryan previously served as the co-editor of the State of Kentucky 2006 Voters’ Manual (a pro bono service for the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law). She is the founder of MAMAs LA (“Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association”), a family-friendly networking and support organization focused on the distinct issues women face while toggling the dual role of mother and attorney, including work-life balance, diversity and inclusion in the workplace, and women’s advancement.
- 2015–2016, “Southern California Rising Star,” listed in the Super Lawyers edition of the Los Angeles Magazine
- 2016, “Up-and-Coming 50: 2016 Women Southern California Rising Star,” listed in Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.