Alen H. Hsu
|Fort Lauderdale, FL||v. +1.954.512.1811||f. +1.561.417.8172|
Alen Hsu concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate, employment, business, and general commercial disputes. Mr. Hsu’s practice is devoted to providing general legal advice to multi-national business owners on domestic and international issues, including analyzing claims under United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, and drafting formation documents, employment contracts, non-compete agreements, non-disclosure agreements, contracts for the sale/purchase of a business, and commercial lease agreements. Mr. Hsu also regularly represents clients in a variety of complex cases involving business and employment litigation, products liability, and consumer class actions. Mr. Hsu has served as counsel on a number of multimillion dollar litigation matters and represents institutional property owners, business owners, and real estate developers in state court, federal court, and arbitration. Mr. Hsu is experienced with appellate and trial practice.
Mr. Hsu obtained a Bachelor’s of Science in Business Management from the University of Florida. While at Florida, Alen completed a summer study program on Elizabethan England and Shakespeare at Cambridge University. Alen went on to receive his law degree from Nova Southeastern University.
Mr. Hsu is proficient in spoken Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese.
- Represented multiple international businesses with preparation of licensing agreements and employment agreements including non-competes, non-solicitations, and non-disclosures.
- Represented and provided strategic guidance to Chinese investors in their real estate investments in the U.S.
- Represented multiple restaurants and international businesses in negotiating and drafting purchase and sale agreements and commercial lease agreements.
- Represented the owner of a multimillion dollar condominium in Miami-Dade County against a claim of fraudulent inducement for damages in the amount of six million dollars; case was dismissed on summary judgment.
- Represented a marketing company against three putative class actions under the claims of TCPA, breach of contract, unjust enrichment, common law fraud, and Illinois and Michigan Consumer Protection Acts.
- Represented the co-owner of an international energy drink company seeking dissolution under the Florida Business Corporations Act; served as second chair in a five day trial and successfully obtained a final judgment of dissolution.
- Represented the owner of a roofing company against claims of common law fraud and breach of oral and written contract over a $1.8 million dollar home; served as second chair in a seven day jury trial and successfully obtained a jury verdict of $70,000 (plaintiff sought $3 million dollars in damages).
- Represented a physician against a medical practice group’s claim for breach of a non-compete agreement and successfully defeated a motion for injunctive relief and obtained attorney’s fees and costs as the prevailing party.
- Represented a commercial property manager in a landlord tenant action against a corporation’s individual officers and directors, and successfully negotiated a $110,000 settlement based upon Florida Statute § 607.1420 and accelerated rent.
- Represented an international yacht company against claims of common law fraud, FDUPTA, Magnusson-Moss Act, and Florida’s UCC breach of warranty.
- Represented an aviation company against a prospective purchaser’s claims of breach of contract and temporary injunction, and successfully defeated a motion for temporary injunction.
- Represented an international telephone card company against claims of violation of Florida’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, misappropriation of trade secrets, and injunctive relief, and successfully negotiated a favorable settlement after the fourth amended complaint was dismissed.
- Successfully represented multiple restaurants and businesses against unpaid wages and overtime claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act and public accommodation claims under Title III of the Americans with Disability Act.
- Defended a large financial institution in a federal qui tam whistleblower lawsuit. The financial institution was dropped as a party after filing a motion to dismiss.
- Represented and successfully defended multiple financial institutions on appeal in Florida’s Second, Fourth, and Fifth District Court of Appeals.
- Successfully obtained a reversal of a trial court’s final judgment in Florida’s Fourth District Court of Appeals. Fed. Home Loan Mortg. Corp. v. Beekman, 174 So. 3d 472 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015), reh'g denied (Sept. 30, 2015).
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Hsu received the 2016 Legal Advisor of the Year Award in recognition of his leadership in the local and legal community, and for his strategic counseling of startup companies and small to mid-sized businesses. In March 2017, Mr. Hsu was selected by the Florida Bar Association to serve a three-year term on the committee of The Florida Bar Journal and The Florida Bar News editorial board. Mr. Hsu currently serves as the Alternate Southeast Regional Governor of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, and on the Board of Supervisory of the North Springs Improvement District. He is also Past President of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of South Florida.
- 2016–2017, “Florida Rising Star” in Business Litigation, listed by Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.