Laura E. Vendzules
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5307||f. +1.215.832.5307|
CHAIR, CONSUMER FINANCE LITIGATION PRACTICE GROUP
Laura Vendzules has more than 25 years of experience in complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts. She advises clients and litigates cases involving contract disputes, fraud and other business torts, director and officer liability, shareholder, partnership and special litigation committee issues, defamation, and media law and healthcare matters.
Ms. Vendzules also has a national class action practice, and serves as co-chair of Blank Rome’s class action defense team. She defends consumer class actions and individual cases involving claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”), various state consumer protection laws, and other state and federal laws relating to unfair and deceptive lending and consumer trade practices. She represents clients in all phases of civil litigation, including pre-trial, trial, and appellate proceedings.
- Represented the receiver ad litem in a hedge fund fraud case that recovered $250 million in damages for investors.
- Obtained reversal by the Pennsylvania Superior Court of dismissal of a wrongful death case on international forum non conveniens grounds.
- Represented a newspaper and several reporters in multiple cases involving defamation/first amendment issues.
- Represented employers and employees in matters involving discrimination claims, restrictive covenants, and other employment related issues.
CLASS ACTION MATTERS
- Defending a company against a putative nationwide consumer class action alleging violations of Pennsylvania’s Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law (“UTPCPL”) and the Fair Credit Extension Uniformity Act (“FCEUA”).
- Defended loan servicers and lending institutions in multiple class actions alleging violations of FDCPA and various state consumer protection statutes.
- Defending entities in class actions alleging violations of RESPA, the Mortgage Satisfaction Act (“MSA”), and breach of contract claims.
- Defended mortgage loan servicers and banks against several borrower class actions alleging that notes and mortgages were unenforceable due to the applicable statute of limitations and/or repose, and asserting the right to quiet title and for injunctive relief.
- Obtained a denial of class certification based on the inadequacy of counsel in an FDCPA class action.
- Represented the CEO of a Fortune 500 food, facilities, and clothing provider in class action litigation relating to a proposed $22 billion going-private transaction.
- Represented a Philadelphia health insurance company and its subsidiaries in complex individual and class action litigation arising out of the misrepresentation by a physician of his psychiatric credentials.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Vendzules is a former member of the board of directors of the Philadelphia Diversity Law Group and the Support Center for Child Advocates.
- 2016, “Top Woman in Law,” listed by The Legal Intelligencer
- AV® Preeminent™, listed by Martindale-Hubbell
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.