Paul J. Sodhi
|Fort Lauderdale, FL||v. +1.954.512.1812||f. +1.954.512.1782|
Paul Sodhi focuses his practice on all aspects of consumer finance, class action defense, commercial litigation, business litigation, and construction litigation.
Mr. Sodhi regularly represents financial institutions, mortgage lenders, and loan servicers in federal and state court matters involving disputes under various consumer protection laws, and a variety of common law claims. In addition, Mr. Sodhi has significant experience in defendant against class action claims brought under various statutes including claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ("FDCPA"), and the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (“FCCPA”). Mr. Sodhi also represents clients in matters involving claims for quiet title, fraud, defamation, and breach of contract.
Mr. Sodhi is experienced in all aspects of litigation, including motion practice, oral argument, the discovery process, mediation, trial, and appeal practice and post-trial work, in both state and federal courts.
“Florida Rising Star” for 2014 and 2015.
- Represented Defendants in Federal Court wherein Plaintiff sought review of a State Court judgment for alleged constitutional violations, and successfully obtained dismissal with prejudice of all causes of action pursuant to the Rooker-Feldman doctrine.
- Served as First Chair at Federal trial representing several corporate entities in case involving claims for breach of contract, quiet title, defamation, fraud, and declaratory relief. During trial Defendant/Counter-Plaintiff consented to judgment on all claims.
- Represented corporate entity in pursuit of its claim for Civil Theft against former corporate members. Successfully obtained judgment against the former corporate members after bench trial. The trial judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of publicly traded real estate investment and development company relating to $44 Million dollar property.
- Represented large electrical supplier in claims against purchasers in claim for escalation costs of material. Successfully resolved the case prior to trial.
- Represented defendants in suit involving claims under the TCPA, FDCPA, and FCCPA. Moved to stay case pursuant to the Colorado River abstention doctrine. Court agreed that all claims should be stayed pending resolution of a corresponding state court action. Specifically, the court agreed with defendants’ position that avoiding piecemeal litigation weighed in favor of a stay of all claims.
- Represented servicer regarding alleged violations of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”) and obtained order dismissing complaint for failure to state a cause of action.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Sodhi is a member of the Order of the Barristers.
- 2014–2017, “Florida Rising Star” in Business Litigation, listed by Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.