Melanie S. Carter
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5720||f. +1.215.832.5720|
Melanie Carter regularly counsels clients in commercial and corporate matters, including:
- commercial disputes and business issues, including breach of contract, fraud, and other business torts
- white collar criminal defense litigation and government investigations
- misappropriation of trade secrets and issues concerning non-compete and non-solicit agreements
- contract matters for 501(c)(3) organizations
Ms. Carter began her legal career as a federal law clerk to the Honorable Joel H. Slomsky of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
While in law school, Ms. Carter served as Executive Articles and Symposium Editor with the Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review. She also served as a judicial intern to the Honorable J. Curtis Joyner of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Prior to law school, Ms. Carter worked in public education through Teach For America.
Ms. Carter serves as a member of the Firm’s Philadelphia Attorney Recruiting and Retention Committee.
- Second-chaired two-week federal arbitration bringing claims on behalf of an independent food processing company against a distributor of a product applied during the food production process
- Successful representation of a global energy and petrochemical company in land-use appeal
- Successful defense of an international food producer and distributor in asbestos-related claims
- Successful representation of a performance fabrics and textiles manufacturer in non-compete claims in federal arbitration
- Successful representation of public utility company in breach of contract proceedings in federal court and before a panel of federal arbitrators
- Successful representation of a pipeline logistics company in proceedings before a state regulatory agency
- Representation of a software as a services company in breach of contract claims in federal arbitration
- Representation of a former Chief Compliance Officer of international money services business against claims brought by the U.S. Department of Treasury
- Representation of a former manager of a joint venture against a shell company in federal court proceedings
- Shielded partnership client from litigation risks relating to civil and criminal allegations through an internal investigation
- Representation of pro bono clients in a PCRA matter and personal injury defense case
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Carter was recently selected for the 2017 Pathfinders Program of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, a landmark program created to identify, train, and advance the next generation of leaders in the legal profession.
Since June 2015, Ms. Carter has served on the Board of Directors of the Education Law Center of Pennsylvania, for which she currently serves on the Nominating and Governance Committee.
Ms. Carter has served on the Executive Committee of the Young Lawyers Division (“YLD”) of the Philadelphia Bar Association, and has served on the Cabinet of the Executive Committee as Financial Secretary.
In 2014, Ms. Carter was recognized with the Blank Rome Pro Bono Hero Award for her work on behalf of indigent clients, including a client seeking a new trial under the Pennsylvania Post-Conviction Relief Act, 42 Pa. C.S.A. §§ 9541 et seq., and clients served through the Nationalities Services Center, the Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania, and the SeniorLAW Center.
Ms. Carter is also the recipient of Blank Rome’s Pro Bono Awards for providing over 65 hours of service in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- 2016, “Who’s Next Law,” listed in Billy Penn
- 2015, “Lawyer on the Fast Track,” listed in The Legal Intelligencer
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.