Melanie S. Carter
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5720||f. +1.215.832.5720|
Melanie Carter counsels clients in commercial and corporate matters, including:
- commercial disputes and business issues, including breach of contract, fraud, and other business torts
- white collar criminal defense litigation and government investigations
- misappropriation of trade secrets and issues concerning non-compete and non-solicit agreements
- administrative law issues including licensing and other regulatory matters before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
- corporate governance matters for 501(c)(6) and 501(c)(3) organizations
Ms. Carter began her legal career as a federal law clerk to the Honorable Joel H. Slomsky of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
While in law school, Ms. Carter served as Executive Articles and Symposium Editor with the Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review. She also served as a judicial intern to the Honorable J. Curtis Joyner of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Prior to law school, Ms. Carter worked in public education through Teach For America.
Ms. Carter serves as a member of the Firm’s Philadelphia Attorney Recruiting and Retention Committee.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Carter serves on the Executive Committee of the Young Lawyers Division (“YLD”) of the Philadelphia Bar Association, and has served on the Cabinet of the Executive Committee as Financial Secretary.
In 2014, Ms. Carter was recognized with the Blank Rome Pro Bono Hero Award for her work on behalf of indigent clients, including a client seeking a new trial under the Pennsylvania Post-Conviction Relief Act, 42 Pa. C.S.A. §§ 9541 et seq., and clients served through the Nationalities Services Center, the Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania, and the SeniorLAW Center.
Ms. Carter is also the recipient of Blank Rome’s Pro Bono Awards for providing over 65 hours of service in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
In June 2015, Ms. Carter was elected to serve on the Board of Directors of the Education Law Center of Pennsylvania.
- 2016, “Who’s Next Law,” listed in Billy Penn
- 2015, “Lawyer on the Fast Track,” listed in The Legal Intelligencer
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.