Melanie S. Carter
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5720||f. +1.215.832.5720|
Melanie Carter regularly counsels clients in commercial and corporate matters, including:
- commercial disputes and business issues, including breach of contract, fraud, and other business torts
- white collar criminal defense litigation and government investigations
- misappropriation of trade secrets and issues concerning non-compete and non-solicit agreements
- contract matters for 501(c)(3) organizations
Ms. Carter began her legal career as a federal law clerk to the Honorable Joel H. Slomsky of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
While in law school, Ms. Carter served as Executive Articles and Symposium Editor with the Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review. She also served as a judicial intern to the Honorable J. Curtis Joyner of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Prior to law school, Ms. Carter worked in public education through Teach For America.
Ms. Carter serves as a member of the Firm’s Philadelphia Attorney Recruiting and Retention Committee, and she was a Co-Chair of the Philadelphia 2017 Summer Program.
- Second-chaired a two-week federal arbitration bringing contract and products-related claims on behalf of a food company against a distributor.
- Represented a global energy and petrochemical company in land-use appeal.
- Defended an international food company in complex maritime matter.
- Shielded partnership client from litigation risks relating to civil and criminal allegations through an internal investigation.
- Represented a performance fabrics and textiles manufacturer to enforce non-compete obligations of high level employees in federal arbitration.
- Defended a former Chief Compliance Officer of a money services business against claims brought by the U.S. Department of Treasury.
- Represented a public utility company in breach of contract proceedings in federal court and before a panel of federal arbitrators.
- Represented a pipeline logistics company in proceedings before a state regulatory agency.
- Defended a manager of a joint venture against a foreign shell entity in federal court proceedings.
- Represented a software as a services company in breach of contract claims in federal arbitration.
- Representation of pro bono clients in state appellate proceedings and a personal injury defense case.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Carter represents the Firm as a participant in the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s 2017 Pathfinders Program, a landmark program created to identify, train, and advance the next generation of leaders in the legal profession.
Since 2015, Ms. Carter has served on the Board of Directors of the Education Law Center of Pennsylvania, and she currently serves on the organization’s Nominating and Governance Committee.
Ms. Carter has served on the Executive Committee of the Young Lawyers Division (“YLD”) of the Philadelphia Bar Association, and has served on the Executive Committee’s Cabinet as Financial Secretary.
Ms. Carter has received Blank Rome’s Pro Bono Awards for providing over 65 hours of service in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, and in 2014 was recognized with the Blank Rome Pro Bono Hero Award for her work on behalf of indigent clients, including a client seeking a new trial under the Pennsylvania Post-Conviction Relief Act, 42 Pa. C.S.A. §§ 9541 et seq., and clients served through the Nationalities Services Center, the Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania, and the SeniorLAW Center.
- 2017, “Rising Star” in Business Litigation, listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®
- 2016, “Who’s Next Law,” listed in Billy Penn
- 2015, “Lawyer on the Fast Track,” listed in The Legal Intelligencer
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.