Kevin J. Bruno
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5580||f. +1.917.332.3838|
|Princeton, NJ||v. +1.609.750.2994||f. +1.609.897.7443|
CHAIR, ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT, AND MASS TORTS PRACTICE GROUP
Kevin Bruno is a partner in the New York and Princeton offices of Blank Rome, serves as co-chair of the Firm’s Energy, Environmental, and Mass Torts practice group, and previously served as co-chair of the Firm’s policyholder-only Insurance Coverage practice group. His practice includes environmental and mass tort litigation and compliance counseling to a broad spectrum of industries. Mr. Bruno has also spent his career representing policyholder clients in their pursuit of claims in multiple lines of insurance coverage, and provides counseling to clients in their placement of a broad array of first party and liability insurance products.
Mr. Bruno’s experience includes:
- Defending clients against private party, NGO, and government claims associated with site contamination.
- Defending clients in mass tort litigation, including lawsuits relating to alleged exposure to air, surface water, and groundwater-related discharges and releases.
- Defending clients against lawsuits and criminal investigations brought by the government pursuant to state and federal environmental programs.
- Representing clients in connection with private party cost recovery actions, and internal environmental audits and investigations.
- Representing policyholders in their placement and pursuit of insurance coverage, including general liability, first party property, environmental, products, professional liability, directors & officers’ liability (“D&O”), and fidelity insurance coverages.
Mr. Bruno “impresses peers and clients with his ‘great client relationship skills’ and exceptional strength in negotiating and litigating… [He] straddles both environmental and insurance litigation … “Impressed clients say: “He is a tremendous leader – his substantive knowledge is very deep, his ability to summarize issues concisely is outstanding, and his attention to detail is extremely good.’”
Mr. Bruno is recognized in Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in both environmental and insurance litigation. Chambers notes that Mr. Bruno “impresses peers and clients with his ‘great client relationship skills’ and exceptional strength in negotiating and litigating.” Chambers has also stated that he "straddles both environmental law and insurance litigation and is valued for his familiarity with both state and federal environmental law and procedures. He is particularly strong at permitting and enforcement matters and is singled out for his ‘good client service, knowledge and responsiveness.’” Clients note that he is “a good, skillful litigator who prepares well, as well as excelling as a negotiator and communicator.”
Mr. Bruno was also selected to the “BTI Client Service All-Stars,” a listing of 113 attorneys based on interviews of more than 250 in-house corporate counsel at large and Fortune 100 companies, and has received numerous other recognitions, listed below.
Before joining Blank Rome, Mr. Bruno was a founding member of Robertson, Freilich, Bruno & Cohen, LLC (1999-2009). Prior to that, he was an associate and member of Hannoch Weisman, PC (1984-1999), and one of the original members of its environmental department and insurance recovery practice group.
He served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Nicholas Scalera, Assignment Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex County (1983-1984).
Mr. Bruno has been appointed to multiple leadership positions within the American Bar Association (“ABA”). Most recently, in June 2016, he was appointed to a sixth term as co-chair of the Section of Litigation’s 2,000 member Environmental & Energy Litigation Committee. He previously served as co-chair of the Section’s Expert Witnesses Committee. In addition, Mr. Bruno has been reappointed for a seventh term as the Section of Litigation’s Liaison to the ABA’s Standing Committee on Environmental Law, now known as the Special Committee on Section, Division and Forum Coordination. These appointments are in recognition of his well-earned reputation as one of the nation’s leading litigation attorneys. In 2014, he was named a fellow of the American Bar Foundation in New York.
Mr. Bruno is also an adjunct professor of environmental law at the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Mr. Bruno is defending what was once one of the world’s largest oil refineries in what are, collectively, amongst the most significant mass tort actions arising from alleged exposure to numerous air releases.
- Until their recent settlement, Mr. Bruno represented a global chemical manufacturer in national multidistrict litigation relating to alleged contamination of groundwater in numerous states, cities, and U.S. territories.
- Mr. Bruno represented the alleged successors to the United States Radium Corporation in nearly 15 years of litigation and trials relating to radium-sourced products and tailings. These matters included mass tort and property damage claims, as well as environmental claims asserted by USEPA and USNRC.
- Mr. Bruno represents one of the nation’s largest global logistics and transportation companies in all insurance-related regulatory, policy placement, and counseling matters, and serves as national coordinating counsel for all insurance litigation.
- On behalf of one of the nation’s largest media conglomerates, Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage against 85 insurance companies under 580 policies for environmental liabilities throughout the United States.
- On behalf of one of the world’s largest lightweight metals engineering and manufacturing companies, Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage for large-scale environmental liabilities associated with one of the company’s U.S.-based aluminum smelters.
- Mr. Bruno successfully represented a software manufacturer in its pursuit of first party insurance coverage for employee theft losses under a fidelity/crime policy.
- Mr. Bruno represents a health care and human services risk management company that provides professional advisory services and administers insurance coverage for hospitals, long-term care facilities, and social services agencies in the New York City metropolitan area. He also advises the company with respect to reinsurance claims.
- Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage for a major New Jersey hospital, as well as its officers and directors, for dozens of lawsuits arising out of the hospital’s employment of a nurse who later confessed to the murder and attempted murder of patients at numerous health care facilities in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- On behalf of a manufacturer of latex gloves, Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage for hundreds of products liability claims throughout the U.S. He also assisted the client and defense counsel regarding a comprehensive settlement of all products-related claims.
- 2011–2017, Environment Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2017, listed in Who’s Who Legal – Environment
- 2006–2017, Environmental Litigation and Insurance Law, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2014–2015, Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Princeton, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2010–2016, listed in Who’s Who in International Law
- 1997–2016, AV Preeminent®, listed by Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Client Service All-Stars,” listed by BTI Consulting Group
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.