Kevin J. Bruno
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5580||f. +1.917.332.3838|
|Princeton, NJ||v. +1.609.750.2994||f. +1.609.897.7443|
CHAIR, ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT, AND MASS TORTS PRACTICE GROUP
Kevin J. Bruno has more than 25 years of experience in complex commercial litigation, concentrating his practice in insurance recovery and counseling matters in multiple lines of insurance coverage, environmental counseling and litigation, and mass tort litigation.
Mr. Bruno’s experience includes:
- representing policyholders in their placement and pursuit of insurance coverage, including general liability, first party property, environmental, products, intellectual property, directors & officers liability ("D&O"), errors and omissions ("E&O"), fidelity, crime, and other insurance coverages;
- defending clients in mass tort litigation, including lawsuits relating to alleged exposure to products, chemicals, and/or alleged hazardous materials;
- defending clients against lawsuits and criminal investigations brought by the government pursuant to state and federal environmental programs, including CERCLA, RCRA, the Clean Water Act, and TSCA; and
- representing clients in connection with private party cost recovery actions, and internal environmental audits and investigations.
| Mr. Bruno “impresses peers and clients with his ‘great client relationship skills’ and exceptional strength in negotiating and litigating… [He] straddles both environmental and insurance litigation … “Impressed clients say: "He is a tremendous leader - his substantive knowledge is very deep, his ability to summarize issues concisely is outstanding, and his attention to detail is extremely good.’”
He served as Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Nicholas Scalera, Assignment Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex County (1983–1984).
Mr. Bruno has been appointed to multiple leadership positions within the American Bar Association ("ABA"). Most recently, in June of 2016, he was appointed as Co-Chair of the newly consolidated Section of Litigation’s Environmental & Energy Litigation Committee for the 2016 - 2017 year. In August 2014, he was appointed to a second three-year term as Co-Chair of the Section's Environmental Litigation Committee, and previously served as Co-Chair of the Section’s Expert Witnesses Committee. Mr. Bruno has been reappointed for a seventh term as the Section of Litigation’s Liaison to the ABA’s Standing Committee on Environmental Law, now known as the Special Committee on Section, Division and Forum Coordination. These appointments are in recognition of his well-earned reputation as one of the nation’s leading litigation attorneys. In 2014, he was named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation in New York.
Mr. Bruno is also an adjunct professor of environmental law at the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Mr. Bruno represents one of the nation’s largest global logistics and transportation companies in all insurance-related regulatory, policy placement, and counseling matters, and serves as national coordinating counsel for all insurance litigation.
- Mr. Bruno successfully represented a software manufacturer in its pursuit of first party insurance coverage for employee theft losses under a fidelity/crime policy.
- Mr. Bruno represents a health care and human services risk management company that provides professional advisory services and administers insurance coverage for hospitals, long-term care facilities, and social services agencies in the New York City metropolitan area. He also advises the company with respect to reinsurance claims.
- Mr. Bruno is currently defending what was once one of the world’s largest oil refineries in what are, collectively, amongst the most significant mass tort actions.
- Until their recent settlement, Mr. Bruno represented a global chemical manufacturer in national multidistrict litigation relating to alleged contamination of groundwater in numerous states, cities, and U.S. territories.
- On behalf of one of the nation’s largest media conglomerates, Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage against 85 insurance companies under 580 policies for environmental liabilities throughout the United States.
- On behalf of one of the world’s largest lightweight metals engineering and manufacturing companies, Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage for large-scale environmental liabilities associated with one of the company’s U.S.-based aluminum smelters.
- Mr. Bruno represented the alleged successors to the United States Radium Corporation in nearly 15 years of litigation and trials relating to radium-sourced products and tailings. These matters included mass tort, products liability, and property damage claims, as well as environmental claims asserted by USEPA and USNRC.
- Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage for a major New Jersey hospital, as well as its officers and directors, for dozens of lawsuits arising out of the hospital’s employment of a nurse who later confessed to the murder and attempted murder of patients at numerous health care facilities in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- On behalf of a manufacturer of latex gloves, Mr. Bruno successfully pursued insurance coverage for hundreds of products liability claims throughout the U.S. He also assisted the client and defense counsel regarding a comprehensive settlement of all products-related claims.
- 2011–2016, Environment Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2006–2017, Environmental Litigation and Insurance Law, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2014–2015, Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Princeton, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2010–2016, listed in Who’s Who in International Law
- 1997–2016, AV Preeminent®, listed by Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Client Service All-Stars,” listed by BTI Consulting Group
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.