Eric G. Fikry
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5495||f. +1.215.832.5495|
|Princeton, NJ||v. +1.609.750.2645||f. +1.609.897.7447|
Eric Fikry concentrates his practice in the area of commercial litigation. He frequently counsels clients in the following areas:
- gaming law and licensing
- employment law
- employee raiding, non-competition agreements, restrictive covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference and unfair competition
- business divorces
Mr. Fikry represents owners and operators of gaming facilities, lenders, investment funds, corporate licensees, key employees, principals, vendors and individuals in connection with licensing investigations as well as other regulatory issues. He has also handled a wide variety of complex commercial litigation matters for gaming industry clients. Mr. Fikry represents companies seeking licenses to conduct internet gaming in New Jersey, including several that were issued transactional waivers authorizing them to be the first to offer legal, online casino gaming within the United States.
In 2012 Mr. Fikry was one of 35 Pennsylvania attorneys selected as The Legal Intelligencer’s “Lawyers on the Fast Track.” Mr. Fikry was also chosen as one of New Jersey Law Journal’s “40 Under 40” in 2010. He was named a “New Jersey Rising Star” by New Jersey Monthly in 2006, 2007, and 2008, and a “Top Attorney” – Casino/Gambling by SJ Magazine from 2014 through 2017. Mr. Fikry speaks and writes frequently on issues relevant to the gaming industry.
Mr. Fikry has received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Defend employer from competitor’s claims arising from employee defections, including corporate raiding, tortious interference, misappropriation of trade secrets, civil conspiracy and unfair competition
- Defend corporation from claims by former C.E.O. alleging breach of executive employment agreement
- Successfully opposed casino management company’s application for injunctive relief against Atlantic City gaming operator seeking imposition of constructive trust and declaration of rights to tax credits.
- Recovered diverted Casino Reinvestment Development Association (“CRDA”) interest payments for Atlantic City casino operator through arbitration.
- Advise clients seeking to launch new business ventures or promotions on applicability of federal statutes regulating gambling.
- Counsel investment funds on compliance issues relating to acquisition and ownership of equity and debt positions in licensed gaming entities.
- Represent clients in employment disputes involving restrictive covenants and discrimination claims.
- Obtained dismissal of litigation brought against Atlantic City casino operator by disbarred attorney seeking to recover millions of dollars in gambling losses under various causes of action including theory that casino owed a duty to detect and protect plaintiff from her own compulsive gambling disorder.
- Member of team that represented a Native American Tribe awarded a Category 2 gaming license issued for the City of Philadelphia.
- Co-counsel in the successful defense of casino license in multiple Pennsylvania Supreme Court cases.
- Work closely with gaming regulators to resolve various legal issues throughout license application process.
- Defended Atlantic City casino operator against alleged regulatory violations charged by Division of Gaming Enforcement (“DGE”) in connection with criminal activity of former employee.
- Represented gaming testing and certification company in action to enforce restrictive covenant against former employee and new employer.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Fikry holds leadership roles in several bar associations. He has been selected to serve on the New Jersey State Bar Association’s (“NJSBA”) Board of Trustees on behalf of the Casino Law Section, and is a past chair of the NJSBA’s Casino Law Section. Mr. Fikry has also served as the chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Gaming Law Committee. He is currently serving as president of the Camden County Bar Association. He is the immediate past president of the Asian-Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey. Mr. Fikry is an adjunct instructor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School where he teaches Introduction to Gaming Law.
Mr. Fikry is also actively involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives for various organizations. He has served as a member of Blank Rome’s Diversity Committee and was selected by the Firm to be a member of the 2013 class of fellows for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. He has previously served as chair of the Camden County Bar Foundation’s President’s Commission on Diversity, and as a co-chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Diversity Committee. In 2011 Mr. Fikry was recognized by the Rutgers-Camden Asian Pacific American Law Students Association for his efforts in promoting diversity and supporting the Asian-American legal community.
Mr. Fikry has served as a panel chair for the New Jersey District IV Fee Arbitration Committee.
- 2014–2017, listed in SJ Magazine as a “Top Attorney” of Casino/Gambling
- 2012, listed in The Legal Intelligencer as one of 35 “Lawyers on the Fast Track”
- 2010, listed in New Jersey Law Journal as one of the “40 Under 40”
- 2006–2008, listed in New Jersey Monthly as a “New Jersey Rising Star”
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.