Adam V. Orlacchio
|Wilmington, DE||v. +1.302.425.6431||f. +1.302.428.5113|
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5431|
Adam Orlacchio maintains a national litigation practice and provides legal counsel to clients on a wide range of business issues. Mr. Orlacchio takes pride in providing his clients with thorough pre-litigation counseling and attempting to obtain business resolutions in a timely and cost-effective manner. He frequently advises clients on complex commercial and corporate litigation matters, including:
- breach of contract matters
- shareholder disputes
- breach of fiduciary duty and corporate governance claims
- merger and acquisition litigation
- business torts
- mass torts and products liability defense
- employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation litigation
- wage/hour compliance, employee separations/terminations, and personnel policies/procedures
- patent infringement and intellectual property
- trade secret and non-compete litigation
- real estate and construction litigation
- cybersecurity and data privacy
Mr. Orlacchio regularly represents clients in both state and federal courts nationwide, particularly the Delaware Court of Chancery, the Superior Court of Delaware, and the United States District Court for the District of Delaware. The Delaware Court of Chancery is internationally recognized as the preeminent forum for the resolution of corporate disputes and development of corporate law. Mr. Orlacchio has handled appeals to the Supreme Court for the State of Delaware and before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Additionally, as a member of the consumer financial services litigation team, Mr. Orlacchio represents lenders and financial institutions in a variety of consumer finance litigation matters in federal and state courts across the nation.
Mr. Orlacchio is experienced with motions practice, oral argument, written discovery and taking/defending depositions, trial practice, post-trial work, and appellate work. He also has experience resolving litigation for clients via alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation and arbitration.
While in law school, Mr. Orlacchio was the Notes Editor for the Rutgers Journal of Law & Public Policy and was a teaching assistant for contracts. He also participated in the Mediation Pro Bono Project and is a State of New Jersey Trained Mediator.
- Jury trial experience in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware representing a defendant majority shareholder against a breach of contract action asserted by a minority shareholder; post-trial motions for judgment as a matter of law granted in favor of client.
- Second chair bench trial experience in the United States District Court for The District of Delaware representing a maritime defense contractor in a suit brought against the United States of America alleging wrongful termination of a government contract; matter resolved during trial via a settlement for $5.2 million.
- Successfully obtained a judgment in the Delaware Court of Chancery for the full amount of damages sought by members of a limited liability company based on breaches of fiduciary duties and fraudulent inducement claims asserted against the company’s managing member.
- Lead counsel in a construction defect arbitration before the American Arbitration Association; matter resolved via settlement.
- Defended a Delaware limited liability company and its managing members in an action alleging breaches of fiduciary duties and breaches of the company’s operating agreement; matter resolved via settlement.
- Defense of a shipbuilding contractor in a breach of contract and conspiracy action before the Superior Court of Delaware stemming from a $122 million shipbuilding project; matter resolved via settlement.
- Successfully moved for reconsideration of an order issued by the United States District Court for the District of Delaware that had effectively revised a $1 verdict against Blank Rome's client to be a $200,000 judgment.
- Defense of an international roofing supply manufacturer in breach of contract, negligence, and products liability actions in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland and the Circuit Court for Baltimore County, Maryland; matters resolved via settlement.
- Represented an apparel company in a commercial arbitration before the American Arbitration Association concerning a software development dispute; matter resolved via settlement.
- Represented a distributor of agricultural products in Pennsylvania state court and before OSHA; matter resolved via settlement.
- Represented a commercial data services company in a breach of contract, breach of warranty and negligence action in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia; matter resolved via settlement.
- Defense of global chemical manufacturer as a member of a national coordinating legal team in multi-district environmental pollution and product liability litigation involving water contamination.
- Defense of a cemeterial services company in a labor and employment class action suit involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wage/hour claims; matter resolved via settlement.
- Represented residential and commercial mortgage lenders in federal and state courts throughout the nation and successfully obtained dismissals of various federal and state law claims.
- Successfully argued before the Delaware Board of Examiners of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies and convinced the Board to unanimously agree to rescind its intent to revoke client's private investigator license.
- Obtained settlement for an employer in connection with a sexual harassment charge before the EEOC.
- Obtained settlement for an employer in connection with a disability discrimination charge before the EEOC.
- Represented manufacturer of medical devices in prosecuting violations of non-compete and non-solicit agreements and theft of trade secrets and confidential information in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
- Represented payment processing company in prosecuting violations of non-compete and non-solicit agreements.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
In 2016, Mr. Orlacchio was elected to serve as chair for the Litigation Section of the Delaware State Bar Association. He previously served one term as vice-chair, one term as secretary, and two terms as a council member for the Section.
In addition to his volunteer efforts, Mr. Orlacchio also handles a number of pro bono matters each year on behalf of indigent clients. He has also taught a landlord/tenant law Continuing Legal Education seminar in conjunction with Philadelphia VIP, as well as volunteered at the Landlord/Tenant Help Center. In recognition of his service, Mr. Orlacchio has been named to the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania Pro Bono Roll of Honor every year since 2011.
Mr. Orlacchio also serves on Blank Rome’s Associates Committee and the Firm's Pro Bono Committee for its Wilmington, Delaware, office.