Joseph G. Poluka
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5624||f. +1.215.832.5624|
Joseph Poluka concentrates his practice in the area of white collar, internal, and government investigations, and represents clients in the investigation and defense of a wide variety of criminal offenses, including violations of:
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- bribery and gratuity statutes
- healthcare fraud statutes
- mail and wire fraud statutes
- money laundering
- securities fraud
- antitrust crimes
- tax crimes
Prior to joining Blank Rome, Mr. Poluka served as an assistant U.S. attorney in the Criminal Division of the United States Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Mr. Poluka's prosecutorial experience included the investigation and prosecution of complex white collar fraud and corruption matters, including bank fraud, bribery, embezzlement, environmental crimes, export (Trading with the Enemy Act), healthcare fraud, securities fraud (including insider trading), tax, and terrorism crimes.
While at the U.S. Attorney's Office, Mr. Poluka also served as the deputy chief of the Violent Crimes, Terrorism & Immigration Fraud Section, as well as the coordinator of the Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council (ATAC), consisting of over 85 local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies that coordinate information sharing and cooperation on terrorism matters. Mr. Poluka also was the USA PATRIOT Act spokesperson for the district.
Mr. Poluka has received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell. In 2013, he was named as a "Top Rated Lawyer in White-Collar Criminal Defense," a "Top Rated Lawyer in Philadelphia," and a "Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment" by American Lawyer Media. In 2014, he was named as a top investigations lawyer by The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers & Forensic Experts.
- Conducted internal FCPA compliance investigations and audits for several significant domestic and foreign corporations
- Successfully represented high-level executive in hazardous waste investigation
- Representation of nonprofit corporation in ongoing political corruption grand jury investigation
- Representation of corporate executive charged with federal securities violations
- Represented automobile dealership in investigation of state ethics law violations
- Represented accountant witnesses in a tax fraud grand jury investigation and trial
- Secured probationary sentence for individual charged with federal bribery violation
- Conducted internal investigation and represented financing company victim in $500 million scheme to defraud
- Represented individual and corporate victims of employee fraud
- Successfully represented publicly-traded corporation in options backdating investigation
- Representation of major medical device manufacturer in criminal and related proceedings involving off-label promotion
- Successfully represented individual granted immunity in federal bank fraud grand jury investigation
- Member of the appeals team that successfully overturned death penalty sentence for individual on death row in Pennsylvania
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Poluka has been selected to serve as Co-Chair of the Public Corruption and Extortion Substantive Committee of the Criminal Justice Section of the American Bar Association’s White Collar Crime Committee. He is also a Master at the University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court. Mr. Poluka is active in The Phi Beta Kappa Society and served as a Senator (2008-2009). He is also a member of the Criminal Law Committee of the Federal Bar Association.