Nicholas C. Harbist
|Princeton, NJ||v. +1.609.750.2991||f. +1.609.897.7442|
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5631|
Nicholas Harbist concentrates his practice in complex criminal and commercial litigation. Mr. Harbist represents clients in a variety of industries in matters related to:
- healthcare fraud and abuse, defense contract fraud, securities and tax fraud, environmental crimes, antitrust crimes, FCPA and corruption crimes, export crimes, and general business fraud
- RICO, antitrust, securities, trade secrets, healthcare litigation
- professional licensing litigation
- corporate internal investigations
- corporate compliance programs
- Qui Tam / False Claims Act and whistleblower litigation
Mr. Harbist is a seasoned trial lawyer. He is a former assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (1984–1996), where he served as the special fraud coordinator; and special assistant U.S. attorney involving litigation under the Classified Information Procedures Act. As a federal prosecutor, he conducted dozens of high-profile investigations and trials. Based on this experience, he developed a keen understanding of the compliance challenges facing corporate boards and CEOs.
Mr. Harbist is a nationally recognized lecturer on white collar criminal law topics. He was a featured speaker at the American Bar Association’s 4th Annual International White Collar Crime Institute Conference in London in October 2015. Mr. Harbist spoke on “Crisis Management in Litigation.”
Mr. Harbist is a skilled appellate lawyer and has argued cases before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the New Jersey Supreme Court.
Mr. Harbist is consistently recognized by The International Who’s Who of Business Crime Defense Lawyers and The International Who’s Who of International Investigations Lawyers.
- Defended an Industry Association in a Civil RICO suit alleging fraud and antitrust violations involving cell phone cloning and obtained a dismissal.
- Defended a developer in a civil RICO suit alleging a scheme to divest an investor from his interests in a company and obtained a dismissal.
- Represented a high technology company in connection with a federal investigation of an employee who destroyed the company’s computer design and production programs.
- Defended an international company in an investigation involving unlawful exports of defense articles, resulting in a declination of criminal charges.
- Represented an executive in a qui tam investigation and obtained a declination of criminal charges and the largest Relator award in the District of New Jersey in a postal rate fraud case.
- Defended a large New Jersey physical rehabilitation company in a federal qui tam whistleblower lawsuit and obtained a declination and dismissal.
- Obtained a $265,000,000 settlement in a False Claims Act lawsuit alleging healthcare fraud violations.
- Defended a major hospital chain in a False Claims Act investigation.
- Defended a pharmaceutical executive in an off-label drug promotion investigation and secured immunity from prosecution.
- Represented a physician in a professional licensing kickback investigation and received a declination from prosecution.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Harbist is a member of numerous community and professional organizations. In 2010, Mr. Harbist was appointed to serve as National Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s White Collar Crime Committee. He served as Co-Executive Director of the ABA Criminal Justice Section White Collar Crime Division. As part of his responsibilities, he is a member of the ABA Attorney General’s Advisory Committee that meets regularly with the Attorney General to discuss policy issues. He is the former Vice-Chair of the ABA White Collar Crime Committee for the Mid-Atlantic Region. Mr. Harbist is also a Former Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association Criminal Law Section and serves as a Trustee for the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers for New Jersey. Mr. Harbist also served as a board member of the Long-Range Planning Committee for the Justinian Society.
- AV Preeminent®, listed in Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2018, Criminal Defense: White-Collar in Princeton, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2010–2015, listed in The International Who’s Who of Investigations Lawyers
- 2010–2015, “Super Lawyer,” listed in New Jersey and Pennsylvania editions of Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.