Daniel E. Rhynhart
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5371||f. +1.215.832.5371||m. +1.215.805.7653|
CHAIR, COMMERCIAL LITIGATION PRACTICE GROUP
Daniel Rhynhart provides strategic counsel to executives in a variety of industries, including software and technology, telecommunications, financial services, banking, and real estate.
| Clients say ‘he is very strong in court, very comfortable on his feet, and does a great job for his client.'
Mr. Rhynhart is chair of the Commercial Litigation practice group, ranked by U.S. News and World Report as National Tier 1 and Philadelphia Tier 1 in its “Best Law Firms” rankings for 2015.
Mr. Rhynhart is ranked as a leader in the field of commercial litigation by Chambers USA, and is applauded for “establishing a fine reputation for his litigation practice.” He is praised for his ability to “handle and discredit hostile witnesses,” and clients say “he is very strong in court, very comfortable on his feet, and does a great job for his client” as well as “good at highlighting weaknesses in the other side’s arguments.”
Mr. Rhynhart led Blank Rome’s team at Diversity Lab’s Women in Law Hackathon, aimed at advancing and retaining experienced women lawyers in law firms.
- Defeated $82 million contract and fraud claims in a telecommunications trade secrets dispute, following federal jury trial, and won sanctions and attorneys’ fees for destruction of evidence.
- Successfully represented real estate developer with $200 million construction project, defeated injunction claims in Pennsylvania state court.
- Successfully represented trader in employment dispute with hedge fund, won 1.6 million FINRA arbitration award, plus punitive damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Defeated $70 million breach of contract claim for a construction-related distribution agreement, and won a counterclaim, following a five week trial in New York state court.
- Defeated $170 million software trade secrets lawsuit, and obtained permanent injunction securing client’s intellectual property rights, followed by contempt order for violations of injunction. Action was litigated in three courts, including Pennsylvania state and federal, and California federal court.
- Fraud action against derivatives trading website—secured verdict in California state court, upheld as a nondischargeable debt in federal bankruptcy proceedings in Texas, affirmed by Texas federal court, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and review denied by U.S. Supreme Court.
- Biotechnology dispute involving virus-based gene delivery—misappropriation of trade secrets—achieved settlement for no money on behalf of defendant after expedited discovery in Pennsylvania federal court.
- Software implementation and customization dispute between Fortune 500 companies—defeated multi-million dollar claims and obtained minimal verdict following jury trial in state court.
- Breach of contract and trademark infringement action between manufacturers and distributors of lighting technologies—won $8 million AAA arbitration award, confirmed by federal court.
- Breach-of-contract, fraud, and RICO action between mortgage company and top agents—defeated $30 million claim and secured $1.6 million counterclaim in AAA arbitration award, confirmed by Pennsylvania federal court.
- Fraud action by equity fund and holding company against sellers of a transportation logistics company—won $30 million JAMS arbitration award, confirmed by federal court—third largest trial verdict in Pennsylvania that year.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Rhynhart is Chairman of the Board of Directors of the American Red Cross for Eastern Pennsylvania.
Mr. Rhynhart serves on the Corporate Council of the National Constitution Center.
Mr. Rhynhart serves on the Board of Directors for Compass Philadelphia.
Mr. Rhynhart serves on the Corporate Council of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (“CHOP”).
Mr. Rhynhart was an Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar at Boston University School of Law. He was president of his class at Colgate University and serves on the President’s Club Membership Council.
Mr. Rhynhart handles a number of pro bono cases each year on behalf of indigent clients. He was recognized by Blank Rome with its Pro Bono Hero award in 2010, and has been named to the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania’s Pro Bono Roll of Honor in every year since 2006.
In 2015, Mr. Rhynhart received the First Judicial District’s Distinguished Pro Bono Award, for his representation of a World War II veteran who was defrauded by a con man and rendered homeless.
- 2014-2016, Litigation: General Commercial Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2015-2016, Business Litigation, listed in Super Lawyers
- 2010, Named one of the “40 Under 40,” awarded for outstanding success and contributions to the community, by the Philadelphia Business Journal
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.