|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5672||f. +1.215.832.5672|
Mr. Dwyer’s practice primarily consists of advising and executing mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions. He also serves as “outside general counsel” to a number of emerging, middle market and public companies who rely on Mr. Dwyer directly for general corporate counsel and also to coordinate other resources of the firm including in the areas of intellectual property, regulatory matters, litigation, tax and government relations. Mr. Dwyer actively advises and assists clients to achieve their legal and business goals, including making appropriate introductions to potential financing sources, accountants, investment bankers, consultants and potential key employees. Mr. Dwyer serves as co-chair of Blank Rome's Venture Group and Cleantech Group.
Mr. Dwyer is a frequent speaker in the areas of venture capital, private equity and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Dwyer has served as a guest lecturer at Villanova School of Law in the area of mergers and acquisitions. In addition, Mr. Dwyer has served as an adjunct professor for
Mr. Dwyer served as the Chairman of the 2009 Mid-Atlantic Capital (MAC) Conference. In addition, Mr. Dwyer is a business plan judge, company coach, and member of the planning committee for the Private Investor Forum’s Angel Venture Fair. Mr. Dwyer also actively participates in Early Stage East, HIMSS Health IT Venture Fair, the MAC Alliance Conference and ACG's M&A East. He is also a member of the American Bar Association’s Venture Capital and Private Equity Subcommittee.
- NASDAQ-listed business services company in its initial public offering and the implementation of a nationwide acquisition program (16 acquisitions since IPO including a $260 million merger in 2007).
- A well known Philadelphia based private equity firm with respect to its initial investment in, and $55 million recapitalization of, a leading healthcare information technology company.
- Major buyout fund in the acquisition of a portfolio company in the education space.
- A nutritional bioscience company, with respect to corporate and licensing matters in connection with a settlement and licensing agreement covering bioscience patents.
- Family-owned medical device manufacturer in its sale by merger to a private equity–backed platform company.
- Partnership in the sale of a majority interest in a race track / gaming operation to the world’s largest casino operator.
- Various financial sponsors in the formation of private equity funds.
- Emerging companies with strategic financing issues, including venture capital and angel equity investments.
ENERGY AND CLEANTECH PRACTICE
Mr. Dwyer actively participates in Blank Rome’s Energy Group and he founded and leads the firm’s cleantech practice. Mr. Dwyer’s energy experience includes serving as special in-house counsel to the treasury and capital markets groups of a Fortune 500 energy company. Also, Mr. Dwyer initiated and leads the Mid-Atlantic Cleantech Investment Forum. As Chairman of the 2009 MAC Conference, Mr. Dwyer successfully introduced, initiated and implemented the first ever “cleantech track” to the conference. In addition, Mr. Dwyer sits on the Ben Franklin Technology Partners (BFTP) Investment Advisory Committee (the BFTP committee which makes cleantech investments).
REPRESENTATIVE ENERGY AND CLEANTECH MATTERS
- A private equity fund focused on cleantech and the water/energy nexus in its preferred stock investment in a water focused environmental technology company.
- Renewable energy developer in connection with the development of an 11.5 MW solar facility.
- A venture investor in connection with its cleantech investment in an innovative “upcycling” company.
- An energy efficiency technology company with respect to its expansion stage venture financing and licensing agreement with a Fortune 500 strategic partner.
- $440 million transaction that securitized a unique asset, while serving as in-house counsel to the treasury and capital markets group of a Fortune 500 energy company.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
On a pro bono basis, Mr. Dwyer assists companies sponsor