Barry H. Genkin
Asia Practice Chair
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5514||f. +1.215.832.5514|
|Shanghai||v. +86.21.2089.3200||f. +86.21.2089.3232|
- Main Narrative
Mr. Genkin most recently served as the head of Blank Rome’s Business Department, consisting of more than 240 attorneys practicing globally in numerous industries. He has more than 30 years’ experience advising public-company clients in public and private offerings of equity and debt securities; mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures; and corporate governance. His extensive experience includes the following:
- capital-formation transactions, including IPOs and follow-on offerings
- mergers, acquisitions, divestures, and joint ventures
- Chinese companies listing in U.S. and Chinese company M&A
- private equity, including venture capital and other early-stage transactions
- proxy contests and defensive planning
- federal securities law and compliance
- take-overs and anti-takeover defenses, including rights plans
- complex outsourcing arrangements
- corporate governance, option backdating inquiries and investigations, and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002
Mr. Genkin is a trusted adviser of CEOs, CFOs, boards of directors, and audit and special board committees, who rely upon him for providing practical solutions to complex legal and business matters. His strong business and financial acumen, coupled with years of high-level experience, enable him to be a creative problem solver, especially when the stakes are high. His commonsense approach, strong communication skills, and calming style create client confidence and make him a persuasive advocate. He typically functions as the lead lawyer in transactions requiring a multi-faceted team approach and prides himself on being responsive to client needs.
Prior to joining Blank Rome, he served as special counsel for the Division of Corporate Finance at the Securities and Exchange Commission in
He is a frequent speaker and has authored numerous publications about raising capital (“IPOs”), including Chinese companies, shareholder activism, proxy contests, capital formation, and corporate governance.
| Clients say 'he is stellar: completely responsive, focused on delivering the best quality work, and not concerned with his ego.'
Mr. Genkin is ranked by Chambers USA as a leader in corporate, M&A, private equity, and securities law. Clients say “he is stellar: completely responsive, focused on delivering the best quality work and not concerned with his ego.”
The Legal Intelligencer awarded “Best Law Firm” (Pennsylvania)—Corporate Practices/Corporate Governance—to Blank Rome, highlighting Mr. Genkin’s leadership and achievements.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Genkin served as president of the Board of Directors at
Mr. Genkin serves as a vice president of the Association of Audit Committee Members, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to developing national best practices for audit committees.
- View presentation: Road Map to U.S. Listing Preparing for U.S. IPO (in Chinese)
- Corporate/M&A & Private Equity Law, listed in Chambers USA
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Buyouts, listed in Legal 500 USA
- AV-Preeminent®, listed by Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2007–2018, Corporate Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, and Securities Regulation in Philadelphia, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.